What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transformers 2

• Thread starter glider14
  • Start date

glider14

Always a newbie
Revenge of the Fallen... i just got home from the midnight showing and all i can say is... holy crap. hands down the best movie so far this year with the hangover a close second. ROTF(revenge of the fallen... not roll on the floor haha) tops the first movie in so many ways its not even funny. while kinda long(about 3 hours) every minute was great and had me not blinking for many moments at a time haha. being on the east coast ive seen the end before the west coast. so im not going to give any spoilers. im not that kinda person. post your reviews too!

Alex

Well, I hated the first one, and I don't think I'm gonna see this one much differently. I'm seeing it tomorrow in IMAX with my little bro. I still haven't seen The Hangover, but its IMDB rating makes me interested.

So far, I'm positive no movies have come out this year yet that can top Up.

Jason

On sunday my friends and I are going to the mall, which movie?- Transformers 2 or The Proposal? ._o

I'm going to see Transformers 2 tonight. I'm very stoked about the movie. I can't wait to see Devastator and Soundwave in action. Hey Alex, how long did you have to wait in line?

there will be many more you will know if you know the series captain =] movie started at 12:01 and i got there at 10:30. i was one of the first in line so i got great seats. haha.
Well, I hated the first one, and I don't think I'm gonna see this one much differently.
HERESEY!

Alex

I saw the first one and me and my roommate both agreed that I needed to be rated R. Not because of what was in it but because if you have giant robots attacking you and you aren't going to stand there and go, "Oh Darn it!!!" as they come barreling towards you haha. That just seemed a little absurd... Then again the audience is more kid oriented (no offense here) so we cut them slack for keeping it at its current rating.

Well, I'm back. For sure, it was better than the first one, but I still can't stand Michael Bay's style. Mainly, his constant comic reliefs bug the hell out of me.

In this review, I vaguely talk about the plot of the movie. It's not in depth at all, but if you don't want to hear anything before you see it, don't read.

There's a bit of duality about my personality that conflicts me on this movie. On the one hand, I'm a techie electrical engineer (in training) who loves robots. Therefore, seeing big robots duke it out on screen is pretty enjoyable. On the other hand, there is the critical, contemplative side of me that enjoys movies with a lot of substance beyond explosions and mayhem. As such, I really enjoyed most of the fight scenes. However, the acting was all pretty much sub-par to par, and you never really get attached to any of the human characters. Optimus was probably the most emotionally convincing character in this movie, and he's completely CG!

One thing that really bugged me was the disposition of the decepticons. The decepticons' story doesn't really fit how they behave. They're searching for something all transformers need, but they're willing to destroy life while trying to get it. Does that make them bad? Sure. However, it seems to me that they wouldn't actively revel in the destruction of that life. To put it in D&D terms (LOL), the decepticons' story should make them neutral-evil, while they act like chaotic-evil.

Michael Bay likes to center his movies around a small group of protagonists against a large number of mostly faceless foes (except for 1 or 2 main bad guys). I think he chose the wrong group to center the movie around. Both transformers movies so far have pretty much revolved around Shia La Boeuf and his unarguably foxy companion Megan Fox (No surprise here that her first appearance onscreen is more or less an upskirt shot). But this is Transformers! I don't care that this little dweeb is having girlfriend problems, I want to hear about the autobots and their problems. I'd like to see their characters developed more.

As for the rating, they crammed in about as much "light" profanity as they could, while keeping it PG-13 level. You won't see any body parts flying around aside from those of nonorganics, despite they explosions they so frequently stand on top of. I would've preferred a darker, more gritty rated R version, but I'm sure that wouldn't be nearly as profitable.

As for the IMAX quality, before the movie was shot, an announcer came on and described the difference between the IMAX and 35mm versions. For most of the movie, the original aspect ratio (16:9 or something) is displayed (just much bigger than a regular theater). However, for certain scenes, the movie was shot with IMAX film, and IMAX viewers get to see some content that was not in the 35mm version. In these scenes, the entire IMAX screen was filled. I tried to notice when this happened, but I only caught 2 scenes. First was when optimus is fighting the decepticons in the woods. Second is the scene that really SUCKED (lots of SUCKING). If you've seen the movie, you should know which one I'm talking about.

As I see it, there are 2 kinds of people in this world. There is the critical minority, which I belong to. Then there is the more receptive general public. 95% of the time, movies are made for the general public. Every now and then, a movie (such as The Dark Knight) comes along that can satisfy both parties. I would say that this movie is not quite one of them. It could have been, had Michael Bay not directed it. (On that note, 100% of Michael Bay's movies are made for the general public)

For the TLDRers out there, I give this movie a 7.4/10.

Jason

One thing that really bugged me was the disposition of the decepticons. The decepticons' story doesn't really fit how they behave. They're searching for something all transformers need, but they're willing to destroy life while trying to get it. Does that make them bad? Sure. However, it seems to me that they wouldn't actively revel in the destruction of that life. To put it in D&D terms (LOL), the decepticons' story should make them neutral-evil, while they act like chaotic-evil.

Dare I... start an alignment debate on this forum? Sounds like the story should make them neutral on the good-evil axis. :p As a player of chaotic characters, I feel compelled to say that lawful-evils can enjoy the suffering of others just as well as anyone else!
~Joe

Dare I... start an alignment debate on this forum? Sounds like the story should make them neutral on the good-evil axis. :p As a player of chaotic characters, I feel compelled to say that lawful-evils can enjoy the suffering of others just as well as anyone else!
~Joe

Well, I don't play D&D or anything similar. All my knowledge on the subject comes from wikipedia. So I'll certainly yield to you on that front. However, if you see the movie, I think you'll agree at least that the alignment that should arise from their backstory does not match the alignment of their words and actions.

Perhaps a better fit could be, they should be chaotic neutral, and they act neutral evil or chaotic evil.

Jason

Hehehe, no worries. I'm just amused by the topic. If you guys think the creation vs evolution arguments get catty, you should see an alignment debate on some D&D forums. Can you say, "frivolous?"
~Joe

The thing im not understanding with Michael is, he isnt really keeping to the comics that well with this.
In the comics, starscream never reformed the decepticons as stated in the movie description, from what ive seen thus far...Starscream hates Megatrons guts, wishes to overthrow his power and blah blah, but never "reformed the decepticons" you cant reform them, they are there....like democrats and republicans....only yeah, horrible comparison but you get the point...
Starscream, in the original comics, left to create the combaticons after being left on an island. Kidnapping autobots and decepticons as he went, forcing megatron to believe it was all the autobots doing....etc, this movie hasnt kept to the comics at all except for the names of the characters and some of the story with the allspark. nothing really at all ties in with the original transformers, which is a slap in the face to us transformers geeks, i liked the first movie....and ill probably think this one is pretty good too, but its just one of those movies that i think ill like for what they are doing and not for the story line....since it really has nothing to do with the transformers comics....Whats with movies coming out now that have little or nothing to do with what they are based off of?! LOL
i mean come on.....
With transformers, i understand they have the deal with chevy...but couldnt they have come up with a way of transforming bumblebee from a bug to the camaro rather than an old camaro to...well another camaro?
he was a volkswagen bug afterall....
lets just hope they dont mess up soundwave or devastator too much...since they clearly screwed devastator over in the first movie by calling him brawl...uhg im such a transformers geek................Shia Le Bouf..i dont like him, hes too......blegh XD
megan fox is alright, but i see her as being another one of those beautiful actresses that just get caught up in crap and turn into a snob.
personal opinion, not to offend anyone.

personal opinion, not to offend anyone.

Dude, what if Megan Fox is a closet CP grower? She could be reading your comment right now and be seriously hurt!

My problem with Michael Bay is that he makes the same movie over and over again every year, just with different characters and explosions.

Jason

PS: Megan, if you read this, why don't you stop by my place sometime eh?

Lmao jason. Maybe if she was a CP grower, I would gain some respect for her...well I currently do respect her, but in a few years if she turns out to be another...snobby, thinks her crap-dont-stink, Cp growing would be the only thing that could regain any respect...its 4 in the morning, what the hell am I still doing awake? Imake no sense LOL....

I liked the first movie (the cartoon) saw it in the theatre and I own it on VHS.
The rock ballads were a bit much though...

Been a fan since the first series of the first series. I kinda like how they changed the look, the story of the first one stank but the cartoon series wasn't really that deep either (with giant, transforming robots fighting who even needs a story?)
The comic was quite good, as are some of the new ones that have been out there the last few years.

Haven't seen the new movie yet, but I am sure to!

As for Megan Fox? Yeah she's smokin' hot! But it don't seem like there's a whole lot going on upstairs... all show and no substance. She perfect for these movies!

Back