What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snake i.d.?

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    baby
Im gonna say a corn snake of some kind, they very greatly in color but the pattern fits description.
in my opinion it is not a black racer, ive raised many from eggs and the design doesnt look like that...
brother and i raised many many snakes when i lived in florida, his job as a herpetologist and keeper at the zoo kept me fascinated in these animals...too bad i cant have snakes at my house here, step dad is terrified of them.

It could have been a rat snake!?! I never would have touched it if I had known their babies looked something like that! They are one of the 5 species that are threatened or endangered in Massachusetts not to mention its illegal to harass/collect/possess/kill. :(

Kris, I checked and corns don't live here, at least no source I have found says they do.

I'm leaning towards ratsnake too. Juvenile rat and racers looks so similar that I said it could be either one. It's not a corn snake because they are not in Ma.

I'm leaning towards ratsnake too. Juvenile rat and racers looks so similar that I said it could be either one. It's not a corn snake because they are not in Ma.

doesnt mean a couple werent released...look at the situation in southern florida with pythons lol. i know the climates and what not are waaay different. but its still theoretically possible.
Yeah milk snake definitely fits better than rat still.

But why would any of them ever be inclined to do it if they never had a rattle?

They rattle for the same reason that rattlesnakes evolved. The modern rattlesnake doesn't really "know" it has a rattle - it just instinctually twitches its tail. Before there was a rattle, it was still an audible and visual warning to predators. The appearance of the rattle improved the effect, and we got rattlesnakes. It probably began as a random mutation that caused a genetic propensity to twitch the tail, which in turn increased survivability.

So the tail twitch came before the actual rattle... "velly intarrestink!" :D

So anyway you didn't keep it? I've heard those are the "best starter snakes" from several shop keepers when I was taking my little cousin Julie around to look at reptiles. She eventually got a Veiled Chameleon from our cousin Katie who has a pair and he's grown huge and very pretty now but she didn't want a small milk snake or anything after seeing twin cities reptiles. She wanted the 9 foot python or the 4 ft baby american alligator - of course! "Can we please ask to use their phone and ask my mom if we can get the Alligator?" :D

So anyway you didn't keep it? I've heard those are the "best starter snakes" from several shop keepers when I was taking my little cousin Julie around to look at reptiles. She eventually got a Veiled Chameleon from our cousin Katie who has a pair and he's grown huge and very pretty now but she didn't want a small milk snake or anything after seeing twin cities reptiles. She wanted the 9 foot python or the 4 ft baby american alligator - of course! "Can we please ask to use their phone and ask my mom if we can get the Alligator?" :D

I would NEVER keep a wild born snake, especially if I could get a captive breed one. Also my dad is very afraid of snakes and I don't feel like I NEED a pet snake. (he has asked me if I wanted one but I always said no to be nice.)

I read online that eastern milk snakes generally have a Y or V shaped white spot on them. So I am starting to lean towards that one. (actually I have strong feeling it is the most likely one for my general location.)

doesnt mean a couple werent released...look at the situation in southern florida with pythons lol. i know the climates and what not are waaay different. but its still theoretically possible.

For the record. The Burmese pythons in S. FL were not pets that were intentionally released/escaped. They were animals that were unfortunately released when Hurricane Andrew laid waste to FL and destroyed a few reptile holding facilities in the process. Contrary to Senator Nelson's opinion the vast majority of reptile keepers are very responsible and do not just go out releasing random snakes for giggles

Timely thread. Last week we had a young snake w/ similar appearance in the garage resting on a small ledge. I 'assumed' that it was a baby black rat snake since we had them (adults & babies) all over the place where I grew up in NE PA. However, looking at some of the pics, it looks like ours may also be a baby milk snake (have to empty the camera one of these days...).

Back