What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snake i.d.?

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    baby
Cool. I don't know, but I know that it doesn not look venomous... maybe a king snake? I may have to ask my neighbor as he has close to 60...

Cool! I believe that is a Corn Snake that will look similar to this later on:
Corn%20snake.jpg

All we have around here are Garter Snakes

that could be it, but the color of that snake (from the photo) seems to be more brown than the red color that that corn snake has. and it can't be an albino corn, they are orange... I don't know though, just my 2 cents.

Others that have broken bands/colors similar to Ants are Scarlet Snakes and Red Rat Snakes. It looks like the juveniles of all these have bright white scales which turn yellowish as they age. There seems to a large variety of color forms for any name. Almost every snake pic is slightly different! :0o:

I don't think any of those snakes live here. And it has a brown tint to its white scales the pic doesn't show.

Cute little bugger. Looks like an eastern milk snake to me.

Maybe. I did notice one thing, when I go near him he wiggles the end of his tail. (no rattle, but I think their would be if he had something to hit it against.)

looks like a milk snake of some sort.......as for the rattling the tail, most New World colubrids do that due to the fact that there are rattle snakes through most of the Americas......sounding like a rattler by wiggling your tail in things like dry leaves is the next best thing to being a rattler.......

How do you suppose they know enough to do that?

lots of generations of the ones inclined to doing that surviving by making a predator think twice

Well, are milk snakes usually aggressive? I think I found something, could it be a young black racer?

Milk/corn snake.. get them all the time around here, although garter snakes are more typically what you find. They can get to a pretty good size and yes they tend to a bit aggressive and feisty if you corner them.

But why would any of them ever be inclined to do it if they never had a rattle?

swords......hard to say what kicks this kinda stuff into the gene pool.....

Ant.....in my experience, most young snakes tend to be aggressive because everything eats them.....around here we have alot of bullsnakes....they are a pain to handle until they hit about 4 foot....up until 3 foot or so everything eats them, foxes, hawks, coyotes........once they hit 4 foot they start just being defensive and not so bitey.......cause they are starting to get big enough that they can scare off most predators.....at 4 foot if yah stumble onto one they let out a hiss that sounds about like if yah punched a good sized hole in a tire....its quite loud......at this point they tend to be a bit defensive but you can usually grab them and if yah dont try and force them to do anything and just let them flow through your hands kinda thing they rarely bite....hatchling to 3 foot they tend to bite first thing.....

Okay, thanks. My brother went to let it go. (he wouldn't drive me because he wanted to go straight to his friend's house after words) I also got pics of a cool little ringneck but, It was hard enough to get that one up. (my computer is being fixed)

the ones around here dont look like timber rattlers....they dont even really look like our prairie rattlers either other than superficially with the square pattern down their back which if you look at snakes as a whole is prolly one of the most common patterns out there.......they look like a bullsnake ......there his sounds nothing like a rattler unless you really havent been around either very much.....there is a grasshopper species up her that sounds alot closer to a rattler than a bullsnake......a bullsnake just sounds like yah punched a hole in a tire......one long, very loud hiss.........

My dad has a pet yellow rat snake that will also "rattle" its tail when approached while it's ingesting a meal.

Jason

That's either a baby black racer, or a baby rat snake. They look very similar when they or born. They both are also very defensive. Like Rattler said, they calm down when as they get bigger. When they are babies they are the meanest snake alive. While they really can't even break the skin, they will bite everytime you get within range of them. They are fun to play with though.

Back