What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lightning Bugs as CP Food?

• Thread starter Vbkid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bugs

Vbkid

Getting There...
So as I sit out back reading tonight, I realized that the numerous lightning bugs flying around would be easy targets to feed to my plants. They are slow, obviously easy to spot, and pretty substantial size wise. My only thought was that maybe the chemical that allows them to flash their thoraxs might be different enough chemically then other parts of the bug to make them bad for a plant.

Just a thought and I was igf anyone else had tried feeding these to plants.

Kyle

I was thinking about this myself just before.

I don't think it would be a problem. In fact, I'm 95% sure my vft has caught one on it's own before.

But I could be wrong... I guess we'll have to wait and see if your plant starts glowing!

I wouldn't think those chemicals and the enzyme would be detrimental to plants. I think it would be more of a deterrent for animals as supposeeldy it tastes bad (I wouldn't know). I have heard people say that plant parts sometimes rot after feeding but that's how it normally goes anyway. It's worth a shot once I'd say.

I guess I will let a sarr of mine be the test subject then. Already it's cool to see the pitchers flashing from the inside.

And while I know it's not how things work, I can picture in my a head a scenario where the pitcher incorporates the enzyme into it's own system and lures many bugs to their death...

And while I know it's not how things work, I can picture in my a head a scenario where the pitcher incorporates the enzyme into it's own system and lures many bugs to their death...

Now we're 'talkin!

I think I've heard people express concern over this before, but if I recall correctly, it hasn't shown itself to be a real problem. My guess would be that if any plant had a problem with it, it might be VFTs, which can also be finicky about stuff like the formic acid in ants. But Sarracenia should be able to handle it - my Sarrs catch tons of ants in the summer and never seem to mind.
~Joe

Okay, somebody smart out there make fast with the gene-splicing!

My neps catch those all the time, no negative effects so far.

How about leaving the lightning bugs alone and letting the CPs catch their own food? Lightning bugs are cool and, from what I've read, the numbers of some species are in decline. One thought is that artificial lights are disrupting their mating.

Back