What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some people really piss me off

Well....It looks as if we were the victims of a CP theft last night. I cant think of why but while we were out someone or something came onto our front porch (where I had 3 different sundew plants that my 5 yr old got from a member of these forums) and they took one of the plants. The three plants were sitting in their pots inside a lid from a cake pan with a little water in the bottom. I watered the plants before we left and when we got back the lid from the cake pan was knocked over, two of the plants were lying at the bottom of the steps and the third plant was gone!!! Do these sundews release any kind of scent that would make animals attracted to them or do i have a thief in my neighborhood?

Were the plants still there? If they were, it was probably a curious rabbit/squirral/mammal, but probably not human.

two of the plants / pots were still there....one plant/pot was missing.....no signs of peat/moss trailing across the yard or anything .....plus we dont see squirrels or other animals on the front porch during day light hours.....the neighbor has a cat that sometimes comes over during the night time hours but I have not even seen it around lately.

why would they only steal the one...o_O
what species was it?

My money's on a cat or a raccoon. Plant thefts are not unheard of, but those are normally reserved for the more showy plants like nepenthes and large sarracenia.

Jason

You would be surprised what squirrels or racoons will "steal"..

to me as well the "crime scene" sounds like a racoon or squirrel, not human..
yes, the missing pot sounds more "human"..but many animals do "collect" weird things...
it happens..

Scot

Or maybe it was a human trying to make it look like a racoon... but then they would've taken all three. Greed beats fear of getting caught.

Uhoh, does this mean you would need to pot up the plants in larger pots so they can't lift/drag them away? :0o: i have a nice sundew that really glitters in the sun, but no squirrel in my backyard ever went near it.... (must be the stench of the ibicella ;))

The mammal/animal could have tested out the plant, and realizing it was distgusting, left the other 2 alone. Yea, raccoons collect weird things.

Did the cake pan ever have cake or baked goods in it recently before you put the dews in it? Or have the dews been there for a while now? The old scent of food could've possiblly attracted something. But I doubt it...just throwing it out there, though.

Sorry to hear about that USMCSKI. I have never had a plant go missing, but I have had pesky neighborhood kids set off every single one of my flytraps one day. About 30 plants in all, lord knows how many traps. I got very mad until I found out it was a little "slow" kid down the street. Even then I was still slightly irritated but explained to him why he couldn't do that.

What type of dew is it? I might be able to spare one or two for your 5 year old. I have a few little ones myself and find the easiest way to make things better when they have lost something is replace it with two. :)

I dont recall the species (as we are new to CP)and the tag was also taken but its the plant that is in the middle in this pic:
IMG_5103.jpg

D.Binata T-form I believe.

It is your lucky day. I am rife with binata. I did a little propogation trial on them and now I have too many. Heck if you wait a few weeks you might even have a colony where they struck the ground.

If you want some I can ship them to you, my treat. I can even throw in a VFT or two and baby D. filiformis (2-3 inches tall and catching small bugs) if you want them for the little guy. Send me a PM if you are interested. Just spreading the generosity of those on this forum who have already shown it to me.

Sorry about that man! I can through in some easy CPs too if ya want. Shoot me a PM. Cant let dashman out-give me! :D

Aww dashman! Im looking for another binata and a filiformis for my bog bowl. Oh well, ill get some soon online

obregon562
I will not be upset if you outgive me. :)

awgaupp
I will have a ton of D. filiformis ssp filiformis seed at the end of the growing season. I only had two flower stalks last year and gave one away. This year I have 13 at last count so I will have plenty of filiformus seed to go around.

cant wait for the giveaway! Thanks

Back