What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

where's the chatbox?

• Thread starter blokeman
  • Start date
is it just me or am i not seeing it...? am i the only one? any updates going on that aren't mentionned? this is odd ???

Due to abuse by some members the chatbox has been, for the time being, removed. This may be temporary, this maybe permanent. Content is being reviewed by Mods/Admin and necessary action will be taken once a decision has been made.

awww, that's too bad, hope for the sake of the forum that it can come back, it has been a pivotal part in my learning experience.
Live and learn. At least we have no choice now to go out and get some fresh air ;)

I thought The site looked different!

Alright people.

I have already received three PMs demanding that I explain what went on in the chat box and telling me that I have to account for my actions in removing the chat box.

So, I will address this right here, right now.

1) A question was asked in this thread and I answered as the first Sr. Staff member here this morning. It seems that by answering this question I opened the door for people to accuse me of being a "power monger" and a "dictator" and telling me that I was out of line for doing what I did. As long as I am on today I will not allow this thread to turn into a flame against the Admin/Mods. If I continue to get inflammatory PMs or if the membership uses this thread to challenge the decisions of the Sr. Staff then this thread will be locked.

2) I am not the one who removed the chat box. The Mods do not have the power to make those type of changes. The Admin removed the chat box. The decision to do so was his and his alone. He has requested that all Sr. Staff look over what went on and we will discuss and come to a decision about what actions, if any, need to be taken.

3) The explanation of what went on in the chat box is in my first post here. Certain members were abusing the rules. That is all the explanation that needs to be given.

4) The chat box is a privilege not a right. There are rules that are supposed to be followed and they are posted. If some among you chose to ignore those rules then all of you may suffer. That is unfortunate but that is the way it is.

Im sorry about my PM. I didn't mean to sound demanding, i was just curious (that's my nature, being a kid). Also, i was never accusing you. I dont have anything against the mods. thanks for understanding

Hey Gaup,

I understand curiosity. Your PM was the last in the batch and I was pretty tweaked by that point so I apologize if I came off like a jerk.

I was on the chatbox when the events occured, I can say that the rule violations stemed from the MJ thread. People brought their battles from the thread to the chatbox.

CN! Dont go. It's okay. I mess up sometimes. Everyone does (no offense to everyone else).

I'm sorry if I was out of line as well. I haven't PM'ed any of the mods about the chatbox. I wasn't advertising. Sorry if I came out that way. I was only trying to show pics of plants and give people a good laugh from the Family guy clips. Sorry if I was breaking the rules.

Sorry if I was breaking the rules.

You've said this several times in a handful of threads recently. Saying "I'm not trying to break the rules" does not mean anything you do afterwards is excused. If anything, you are acknowledging the fact that you are about to break the rules, and acknowledging that you are aware that you are about to break the rules.

Could a Moderator, or someone with power please lock this topic?

It'd be really nice to have a mod delete this so a thread like this doesnt reflect the site as a whole from a visitors POV

For the record, everyone has the power to notify a moderator of troublesome posts. There is a little button that says "report." You can click this, write a little message about what is offensive, and then it will post an entire thread in the moderator forum. It is much, much easier to see a reported thread in the moderator forum than to read through every post every day. I guarantee if someone would've clicked the report button the problem could have been contained sooner. In fact, I was on last night but didn't look at the Michael Jackson thread because... well... it was a Michael Jackson RIP (or so it should've been) thread.

Here it is for the visual learners:
report.jpg

The Moderating team relies on the communities self policing and reporting things. It is greatly appreciated when the community rallies behind unacceptable behavior and unfortunately sometimes it isn't enough or people get baited into things. When confronting unacceptable behavior, make sure to do it appropriately or you may also get a three day temp ban (or worse) even for attempting to do the right thing.

xvart.

Hello! Absolutely use the report button! It is much more efficient than sending me a PM or something. Example in point... After working 5am to 1:30 pm yesterday... I came home and proceeded to take my truck apart I didn't finish until about 10:30 pm. I stopped by the computer on my way to the shower and saw all these notes from people about the chatbox and the MJ topic... Obviously I was in no way capable of sorting through it all just then (being that I had to be back at work at 5am today!) so I deleted the MJ topic, shut down the chat box and posted to the mod forum. That's why it went down, and why Pyro had the answers he did early this morning when he got in...

Thanks,
Andrew

Back