What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to avoid an ebay scam

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
Leucophylla tarnock does not produce seed. If you see this seed for sale, it is a scam, or someone who has a leuco and thought it was a tarnock. glad i could help

Actually leuco Tarnok can produce seed. There is a thread on CPUK about this.

There is also an unrelated sepaloid leuco that produces pollen and has been used by a few people to make some crosses.

Pyro's right. It has functioning ovaries believe, but it cannot produce anthers/pollen. Using that unrelated messed up leuco Pyro mentioned, it is possible to make seed that should theoreticaly produce 'Tarnok' like plants.

Oh dang, I wish I knew that S. leuco 'Tarnok' could receive pollen before. :x

Oh. i never knew that. If you cross a leuco with a tarnock, will it be a tarnock? possibly?

Wow cool! Thanks for the info Pyro, I did not know that about Tarnok.
Is Tarnok sterile due to chromosome count or due to a chromosome abberation?
If it's due to an uneven chromosome count I would be surprised if no one had tried to get some sort of allotetraploid clone from it to make it a non-sterile plant. It could make for some really impressive crosses I think.

Oh. i never knew that. If you cross a leuco with a tarnock, will it be a tarnock? possibly?

Pyro's right. It has functioning ovaries believe, but it cannot produce anthers/pollen. Using that unrelated messed up leuco Pyro mentioned, it is possible to make seed that should theoreticaly produce 'Tarnok' like plants.

Just to make a clarification here. We do not know that the sepaliod trait is necessarily a genetically proven trait. It is entirely possible (I would even say likely) that all offspring from Tarnok as a seed parent crossed with a normal Sarr or a normal Sarr crossed with the other sepaloid as a pollen parent will have normal flowers. If (and there is zero evidence of what I am about to suggest so it is all theoretical!!) the sepaloid trait is recessive then either of the above crosses would produce heterozygous plants that would then need to be back crossed to see if the sepaloid trait was indeed genetically inheritable.

Frankie's example probably will not happen anytime soon. I only know of one group currently working with the pollen producing sepaloid (there may be others I do not know of) and they are under some bureaucratic rules so not able to distribute on any kind of large scale. Some of the pollen from that plant was passed to a few people so we will just have to see what the future brings from any seed produced by that pollen (assuming any was.)

Wow cool! Thanks for the info Pyro, I did not know that about Tarnok.
Is Tarnok sterile due to chromosome count or due to a chromosome abberation?
If it's due to an uneven chromosome count I would be surprised if no one had tried to get some sort of allotetraploid clone from it to make it a non-sterile plant. It could make for some really impressive crosses I think.

No one knows what the cause of the sepaloid phenotype is. It has been documented in 3 species to date that I know of. All of these plants were found in field and not spontaneous seed grown mutants in cultivation.

I am inclined to bet it is not a polyploidy matter as the fact that Tarnok has produced viable seed argues against polyploidy. Getting a polyploid to produce viable offspring when put against a normal ploidy is really really rare so I do not think we would see it right out of the gates like we did on this project.

Right now we are too early on in the crossings to get a handle on what is going on. The plants that are now in their second year (IIRC) from Tarnok as a seed parent might just start flowering next year if we are lucky so maybe in another 2-4 years we will have an idea of if it is a heritable trait. And even then there is no guarantee as it may be a multi locus trait.

Back