What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New sundew!!!!!!

Chomp

Oops
Well I'm off to go and get my new sundew! I'll try to get some pics uploaded as soon as I'm back. SEE YA!!!!!! :D

What kind is it?

I don't know the exact species, but I do know how to take care of it.

How would you know its specific requirements without the species? some sundews have special needs...

It's most likely an easier dew, the ones that are finicky to grow tend to be harder to find, you have to actually be looking for them anyway.

Don't worry,I'm getting it from Lowe's, it can't be anything to difficult. and besides, it comes with a care sheet just in case. And as soon as I get it, I'll look up it's species.

Their care sheets are fail. And since it's from Lowes, it's D. adelae. As far as I know, that's the only dew they sell. There is a ton of info on D. adelae here on TF.

ive seen D. adelae, D. spatulata, and D. capensis at lowes....
who knows? lol
either way, its true. the care sheets that come with them, are horrible lol.
give us a description when you can, or if you know what kind it is, tell us and we can give you better instructions ;)

Okey, but I've been studying sundews for a very long time now, and I'm not knew to them you know. But I will still send a pic.

Not sure if I'll have time to mention this later, so if it does indeed turn out to be Drosera adelae, make sure not to give it to much direct sunlight. It prefers shade, and has a tendancy to roast easily. Otherwise, its a pretty easy plant.

And what I know is wrong. Lol. I've never heard of Lowes having D. spatulata or D. capensis. Thanks for the input. :)

Thanks, but it the care instructions said to give it plenty of sunlight. So I got it yesterday, and I almost fed it, but I didn't have any bugs that were small enough. I wanna feed it today though. I've never seen one like this before,(But I'll bet one of you have) so I'm very curious:poke:I can't get any pictures of it on because I don't know how to get a URL on it. Any advice on that?

Say, Capensis, is your location really Antarctica, or was that a joke?

For the grow list, do I write plants that I have already grown, or just ones that i want to grow?
???

About the growlist: only plants you already grow.
@Capensis' location: No, I'm pretty sure he's in michigan.
Don't listen to the Lowes caresheets, they basically just say full to partial sun for everything IIRC. How are the leaves shaped? Are they spoon-shaped, lance-shaped or sort of elongate with tentacles only on the ends? Does it look like this:
http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/651/390Drosera_capensis7.jpg
this
http://freenet-homepage.de/Panama01/dros-adelae-beute.jpg
or this?
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Images/D_spat_HK.jpg
The first pic is capensis, the second pic is adelae, the third is spatulata. If it looks like an adelae, don't put it in direct sun unless you want a hard-boiled sundew for lunch, no matter what the caresheet says :X. In any case, good luck!

The pic in the middle! I think thats the exact species!

who knows? lol
Kris, what you saw was most likely a bunch of etiolated D. adelae. When starved of light, they can get rather capensis and sphatulata like.

Chomp, like everyone has already said, don't listen to those care sheets. They are incorrect.

Okey, but I've been studying sundews for a very long time now, and I'm not knew to them you know. But I will still send a pic.

I would say your new to anything you haven't tried.

We're just trying to look after you... Keeping death cube plants alive is not always easy.

Yep. I'm really in Antarctica. ;) Hehe, nah, I'm in the Sunshine state. :D

If you want to put up a photo, put it up on an image hosting site (like photobucket which already gives you an IMG URL). Just get put
around the URL if it doesn't already, like so:

So here's a link to a plant of mine:
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll293/Capensis/SN853363.jpg

After I put
:
SN853363.jpg

Thanks for the help nepfreak.

I would say your new to anything you haven't tried.

I HAVE taken care of sundews, just they weren't mine. I was only asking for a few tips. You don't have to pretend that I'm completely clueless. I find it rather offending.

Back