What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Do You Know About Paver Sand?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
A guy who works in Garden bought a bunch of broken bags of paver sand for the paltry price of $.58. So I asked him about what went into that sand. Was it treated with chemicals? How coarse is it? Apparently, it's ground up concrete, which I think is alkaline. That might be good for the Mexican pings. Whaddya think?

I worked landscaping for a while, and we used a special sand when we put in patios that was spread in between the pavers [patio bricks] after the patio was completed. Upon getting wet the sand would then solidify and fill in the gaps between the bricks, making a nice, solid, and sealed patio. I don't know if what you're looking at is the same stuff, but I would definitely be cautious. Wouldn't want all your beautiful plants solidified in a block sand.

That happened to me when I added some pelletized limestone to some soil mix for cactus who grow in limestone, thinking it would be a good additive. The stuff melted and turned the pots into almost solid cement! So avoid Pelletized limestone too! :D

I've seen directions for installing pavers that called for a mix of sand and portland cement. If that's what's in those bags, it isn't just alkaline; it's downright caustic. Don't use such a mix for any plant.

Okie-dokie! It was a thought. It looked like wet sand, looking at through the bag. I might try a handful in a pot and toss a couple leaves on top.

Back