What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous Alarm Clock

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
That's right, it catches, kills, and then digests bugs and then uses the energy to tell you the time.

flypaperup-thumb-500x375-20007.jpg

We have covered a lot of clocks in the past. Some of them are solar powered, some run on water, but this is the first time that I have ever seen bug power.
That’s right, someone has actually invented a carnivorous alarm clock that works like a Venus Fly Trap. It works with a conveyor belt of flypaper that takes a captured fly and drops them into a microbial fuel cell. This dead bug is digested by bacteria, then there is a chemical change that can somehow power the clock.
I’m surprised that I haven’t heard about bug power before, as roach motels could be turned into batteries and hanging flypaper could be turned into chandeliers. Right now, I am living in a place that is full of flies, and I could use a device like this.
In all honesty, why stop with bugs? Apparently it is the protein that the bug-powered clock wants, and so I guess all animals could be used for electric power. Imagine eating a KFC bucket and throwing the bones in the protein power generator.
I can’t help but think that this is reminiscent of a Star Trek episode where the Enterprise lands on a planet that feeds off everything living aboard the ship. Yeah, I’m often disturbed at the thought that human beings could be the next fossil fuels.

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20090629/bugpowered-led-clock/

DUDE!!! I want one!!

Me to! Move over, old clock from the '70s!

(Flytrap clocks, what'll they think of next?)

Same guys, other carnivorous appliances.

Lampshade robot

This robot is inspired by carnivorous pitcher plants.

Insects are lured into the shade by ultraviolet lights - which are lit only at night - and become trapped.

http://www.newscientist.com/gallery/dn17367-carnivorous-domestic-entertainment-robots/6

copylamprobot.jpg

Trapped insects eventually fall into the fuel cell below.

This generates electricity to power the ultraviolet LEDs, which can then switch on to trap more flies when the house lights are off.

Carnivorous robots eager to eat your pests
UK-based designers James Auger and Jimmy Loizeau believe that, if robots are ever to be welcomed into people's homes, they'll need to fit in with the rest of the furniture, and earn their keep. Their prototypes trap and digest pests like flies and mice to gain energy - see video demonstrating how they work.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17372-gallery-domestic-robots-with-a-taste-for-flesh.html

how does it catch the fly. then drop it intot he fluid... if the fly gets stuck. its not going to somehow magically drop into the fluid. and how does the conveyor belt run? does it run off the same energy as the clock? or by battery? if it is battery how do we know it doesnt also power the clock. something doesnt seem right... maybe its just me.

neat concept though.

Alex

Maybe it's cold fusion. With e = mc^2, a few flies can power a house.

Maybe this was a test of people's attention span, or the lack thereof. I failed.

Back