What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My poor plants!

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Here in Florida, it's been raining like crazy the past week. About two weeks ago, I bought a ten-gallon fish tank to put my plants in. There was no lid or anything. I looked at my plants yesterday, and the fish-tank with my plants was filled to the very top with rain-water. All my plants were submerged, and several of the smaller pots were flipped upside down and the plants uprooted. My Mexican butterwort completely rotted away. All I have now are some cuttings.

So yeah, I spent the entire afternoon cleaning everything out, replanting everything into fresh soil, and I moved my plants to the screened in porch. They won't get as much light, but they'll be protected from pests and excessive rain.

Sorry to hear about that.

On the succulent forum, people in FL who don't have funds to put up a greenhouse to keep off the excess rain, build a frame/cube out of 2 x 2 wood planks and put a sheet of clear plexiglass just ontop. According to them this keeps out the bulk of the rain but still allows light from all the open sides and clear top with plenty of air circulation.

For some reason I thought you lived in CA...???

That's too bad. The moral of the story is to check on the plants more frequently. Unfortunately, that's sometimes easier said than done.

Why would you place them in an fish tank if they're outside?

Because it made no sense to put them in a full fish tank?

drill a couple holes in the side of it. problem solved.

Why would you place them in an fish tank if they're outside?

I thought it would prevent birds and squirrels from getting to the plants. In addition, I thought it would somehow block out alot of rain. :blush:

Back