What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's different about this?

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
This was at the local pet store:
asas004.jpg

asas010.jpg

asas011.jpg

asas016.jpg

Tell me whats unusual...

the double heads, duh? lol
id personally buy it for the sake of having a two headed turtle, plus its kinda cute....
im a sucker for turtle faces, idk why LOL.

I'm not looking for a turtle, or any other pet for that matter, but I'd probably have to buy that, unless they're charging a lot, which they should.

Weird. Does the one on the left have a shell of it's own inside? Looks like the lip of it is poking out from under the full shell.
What's the story with two-headed turtles? Are they just conjoined twins where one's shell swallowed the other? Or is there actually a bifurcation in their growth plates that causes the head/neck to split?
~Joe

i would so have to get that. im mean how can you not?

It's $1200. But the thing is that there is a turtle, with an extra head. One stomach. thats the best i know about it. they had another a few years back

You made the right decision to leave with some free photos instead of spending $1200.

What's the story with two-headed turtles? Are they just conjoined twins where one's shell swallowed the other?

I think it happens when an egg has two embryos inside, & they develop like siamese twins.

Cool. I'm pretty sure only one of the heads can retract at a time.

xvart.

Haha xvart, meaning while one retracts you can keep on poking the other xD

That's awesome! Will "they" live as long as a regular turtle/turtles? I'd definitely take that pair home!

We had a human girl in New Germany MN born with the same sort of genetic partial split so it looks like she has two heads. She was a guest on Oprah some years ago and has taken her driving lessons last I'd heard.

Will "they" live as long as a regular turtle/turtles?

In the wild they don't often live very long, usually one head controles one side of the body while the other controls the other side of the body. That means they don't swim very well, making it hard for them to catch food, & it makes them vulnerable to predators. In captivity though I'm pretty sure they live just as long as normal turtles due to the lack of things eating them.

Yeah, I'm not so sure this would be a case of siamese twins, but rather a mutation probably due to conditions while in the egg. More than likely lacking an inhibitor which would tell the cells to stop dividing...not sure, ill have to give my brother a call and ask him on this, he's had a couple of 2 headed turtles, both from batches that were screwed up during the incubation process due to power outages when we had hurricanes here in florida...wonder if its something like a flat worm, but only happens in the early stages of the developing fetus. (Flat worms multiply easily from being split in half, and if you just split the head, it grows two)so if that were the case, maybe during the cell division process, something went wrong and rather than staying together, the two cells that originated from the one, went off and made their own heads due to some physical/environmental barrier? Like I said, ill ask my bro. Lol, he's a herpetologist.

Interesting Jaytab, that's how this girl/s was. They explained that if they want to clap or some activity involving both hands or feet they would have to coordinate it between themselves.

Philosophical question of the day - if one girl commits a crime, does the innocent one have to go to jail too or should the guilty be able to avoid jail?

Well, unless the other girl is somehow able to control both arms and legs, I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to avoid most crimes that are awarded with jail time...the thing that bugs me is that when one dies, if the other lives...even if its only a little longer, I would not exactly like a dead person attached to me. You know?

Well, unless the other girl is somehow able to control both arms and legs, I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to avoid most crimes that are awarded with jail time...the thing that bugs me is that when one dies, if the other lives...even if its only a little longer, I would not exactly like a dead person attached to me. You know?

I saw a "Ripley's Believe It or Not" on the subject; it talked about siamese twins that were connected at the back. When one of them died, the other died something like 3 hours later because they were sharing organs.

Yes, it would be rather (place another word for strange or sad here) to have a dead person connected to you, especially one you've spent your entire life with.

That would suck. Not only would you be slowly dying as well, you'd also be grieving, and then they'd literally become deadweight to you then.

That's awesome! Will "they" live as long as a regular turtle/turtles? I'd definitely take that pair home!

We had a human girl in New Germany MN born with the same sort of genetic partial split so it looks like she has two heads. She was a guest on Oprah some years ago and has taken her driving lessons last I'd heard.

They live as long because they have one stomach, and everythings protected

Back