What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got an idea!

As most of us know growing CPs can be acheived with a little research. Growing CPs well requires alot of research mixed with experience . Why is this?

I think this is because conditions to grow most CPs can be acheived with the right soil, light, and water and sometimes humidity and temps... and probably some other misc categories I am forgetting (water purity for example). Easy plants can be grown with basic needs met. However some plants require more attention to detail. To find the details people must do research and/or lose plants before finding the right mix.

I would suggest creating a registry using a numeric scale in terms of needs. Say on a scale of 1-10 how important a certain factor is.

For example:

Light 1 = full shade; 10 = full sun
Water 1 = arid (unlikely); 10 = aquatic, etc.
Water purity 1 = <=300 ppm; 10 = <=50 ppm
Soil 1 = compact; 10 = airy
Humidity 1 = not important; 10 = important ... should probably be followed by min and max suggested humidity.
Temp day...
Temp night...

Well, you get the picture. The point is that by looking at a certain plants properties, one could deterimine if they can provide the right conditions for it. It may also help to determine how potential hybrids could be best cared for. But, not being an expert this is pure speculation.

Comments?

I would love to see something like this, but the main problem is, not everyone agrees on even some of the most basic cultivation requirements. The "best" conditions for your plant always depend on your location and weather.

That being said, it would be possible to generate a list of natural growing conditions for plants. This could serve as an "ideal" conditions page. I'll leave that task to the much more motivated people.

Jason

You have a good point. The natural growing conditions is what should be used as the baseline.

And you are also right that it would need to be done by highly motiviated people with more knowledge than me.

I just thought I would share my idea.

I forsee one huge determining factor that will throw off all of these efforts...
what one person can do in growing a certain cp, would be detrimental to someone else...
eg: someone living in the desert could not use a airyier mix, and would preferably use a mix that will retain more water due to the climate being dry... as opposed to someone living in say, seattle, where it's constatnly raining most of the year, in using a mix this 'water-retentive' would be bad, ans using an airyier mix would be preferable...
There's already a ton of info out there... i really think, trial and error BASED on a plants 'natural ideal' conditions sounds like a good idea. But anyways, besides all that, start small, and work your way up... no point getting ahead of yourself :D
my 2cents

Not a bad idea....I would at least like them rated as far as :
hardiness
ease of growth
and wether or not a newbie to "gardening" in general should attempt to grow them

I forsee one huge determining factor that will throw off all of these efforts...
what one person can do in growing a certain cp, would be detrimental to someone else...
eg: someone living in the desert could not use a airyier mix, and would preferably use a mix that will retain more water due to the climate being dry... as opposed to someone living in say, seattle, where it's constatnly raining most of the year, in using a mix this 'water-retentive' would be bad, ans using an airyier mix would be preferable...
True, but I was talking about what the plant grows best in as DrWurm suggested, or at least what it has been observed to be growing naturally in using a numerical scale. That way a person in the desert would know what they are dealing with in terms of the observed conditions and thier own. Of course you can always improvise by your own trial and error experience.

There's already a ton of info out there... i really think, trial and error BASED on a plants 'natural ideal' conditions sounds like a good idea. But anyways, besides all that, start small, and work your way up... no point getting ahead of yourself
my 2cents

Yes there is a wealth of info out there, I agree and nothing beats experience. But it is not all in one place and requires alot of researching. Perhaps there is already something like that out there. I can think of another site (not sure if I can mention) that already lists many neps and general stats and difficulty, but it is not complete and doesn't contain the type of info mentioned above in a quantitative fashion.

Of course I couldn't do this as I lack the knowledge and am not a professional biologist.

This reminds me of a commercial from CDW, I think. Where two IT guys propose some project that saves the company time and money. When it came time to doing it, the project managers looked in disbelief at the thought of them actually doing what they suggested. "We don't actually do what we suggest. We just suggest it."

It is always easier said than done.

Back