What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need to get a 6 x 6, 6 x 8, or 8 x 8 GH

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
Hey TF,

Im need to get a glass small-ish greenhouse. DIYing is fine, i just need to find a cheap one. Im on a budget. Dont need any fancy vents and stuff. Just a glass GH with a real door.

Thanks for any tips!
Frankie

Does it "have" to be glass? Ebay has really nice deals if you look up greenhouses, usually the shipping is even free and on a 10' x 16' greenhouse that could mean a big savings! Some Ebay ads appear to be much better/bigger setups than the kits at garden centers around here (only 6' x 8' usually). If only I had some land I'd have a couple GHs, probably more than a couple before long! :D

If you like to do DIY there are good books out there on building your own. Ortho published a book on Greenhouses which shows the construction of a number of interesting styles from wood, glass and or brick. Instead of glass I would buy 4' x 8' polycarbonate sheet which allows light but is like clear corrugated cardboard so it has a bit of insulating power but insulating from cold probably won't matter for you out in CA. Though the poly sheeting is far cheaper.

Definitely don't see you finding a cheap glass greenhouse any time soon after poking about the internet.

Jason

not glass per say, just not cheap plastic sheeting.

Jason,

Shut up. Just shut up ok! :-))

Why don't you need fancy vents and stuff; are you planning to roast the plants? Greenhouses can be tempermental beasts and you should check with others who have them in your area to see how they do it. It's a rare greenhouse that doesn't need some fancy stuff.

bruce,

I already have that stuff thats why! :)

That'll save some money (and plants). What about buying the framing & glazing materials and either building it yourself or hiring an out-of-work carpenter to build it for you?

theres a thought...hmm...does anyone have any good blueprints/specs for a good GH i can use?

I don't have plans myself, but if all you need are dimensions, I believe I've seen some online. I'm working with a woodworker friend of mine to build some benches with some small cold-frame type greenhouses sometime, once we both have time for a project. Coming up with the plans was surprisingly easy; just brace the stress points with 4x4s and include cross-braces to keep it from collapsing. The benches we've planned should be able to support about a half a ton each (although I wonder how precise that value really is.)
You can get good corrugated polycarbonate around here at like $2 and change for a 20 square foot sheet.
~Joe

i think bruce and joe are the winners.

Ill have to check online then...what store was that Joe? Home De-pot?

Thanks guys!

Do some research, not only to find plans but also to learn about materials. I confess to nearly complete ignorance of the subject, but I think some polycarbonates lose their transparency pretty quickly, while others last a long time.

Ill have to check online then...what store was that Joe? Home De-pot?

Home Depot and Lowes both have about the same price - I think that Lowes' was a little better, but only by a few pennies. Lowes' had a bigger selection of kinds of materials, though, at least in my town, so that's typically where I go first.
I was also concerned about curing, especially since I'm expecting to have to support snowpack in the Winter, but I did the math and found that it was only slightly more expensive than using vinyl sheeting (which would die after the first Winter) and even if I replaced it every three years it would still be like ten or more years before I was anywhere close to the price of glass. Do a little number crunching and see what works for you. Plastics are getting pretty high-tech these days - I'm sure they have some kind with weathering characteristics that fit your needs.
I think - but am not certain - that the polycarbonate I was talking about for $2 a sheet is UV-protected. But yes, Bruce is definitely correct; the type matters a lot.
~Joe

Back