What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of spider is this?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Picture003-11.jpg

Picture004-5.jpg

There are different kinds of jumping spiders, but I can't narrow it down past jumping spider. If it's on your balcony, you can call the police and say there's a jumper on your balcony. Maybe they'll get the joke and won't haul you off to the station afterwards.

After looking through Google, the spider that looked the closest to that one is Sitticus rupicola.

Edit:
sitticus_rupicola_D0446.jpg

It might not be it, but I tried. :x Hope this helps! :)

Edit: Yeah, it probably isn't it since it doesn't really have fur on its legs...Hopefully Google can help.

Aside from jumping, does it do anything else noteworthy?

noteworthy? its a spider...........actually some species of jumpers are fairly intelligent as far as bugs go.....the Portia genus has show that they can actually plan a stalk that will take them out of sight of their prey and to improvise if things dont go right......

noteworthy? its a spider...........actually some species of jumpers are fairly intelligent as far as bugs go.....the Portia genus has show that they can actually plan a stalk that will take them out of sight of their prey and to improvise if things dont go right......

I mean, are they deadly? LOL! I have kids that can do what you described!

Nah they aren't deadly jim. Just annoying....*has a horrible phobia of spiders* actually not as scared of them as I used to be but still....

actually they are prolly about the easiest spider for a kid to hold......they arent as high strung as most others.....really arent inclined to bite a person unless yah try and squash them.....my wife is an arachnophobic but doesnt mind jumpers all that much......we had a "pet" one living in our bedroom a few summers back, she was happy to let it stay cause it was a bad summer for flies and this one worked better at fly control than most anything else

The only things worse than spiders are intelligent spiders that can jump at you *shudder*

Jason

Rofl!!!true that jason.
Actually I can top that with one of the nasty golden orb weaver spiders down here in florida with a skull like pattern on the back of their body that looks like a skull....like a real life skulltula(sp?) from zelda

Rofl!!!true that jason.
Actually I can top that with one of the nasty golden orb weaver spiders down here in florida with a skull like pattern on the back of their body that looks like a skull....like a real life skulltula(sp?) from zelda

Oh yeah dude, those things are ****** scary. I've seen some massive ones before. The other thing they have in florida are wolf spiders. Wolf spiders are the worst. They're huge, and they don't build webs. They love to crawl around houses and hide in dark places. Dark places like behind your water cup in the bathroom so when you go to reach for it they come crawling out and you scream bloody murder.

Jason

I HATE those with a burning passion. It's what gave me arachniphobia back in like, 1st grade. I was just playing around in the playground and I was running while looking back, and I ran into a spider web. When I looked up, there was a golden orb weaver right above my face. Holy crap, that was one of the most scariest moments in my life. If not the most.

Wolf spiders are the worst. They're huge, and they don't build webs. They love to crawl around houses and hide in dark places. Dark places like behind your water cup in the bathroom so when you go to reach for it they come crawling out and you scream bloody murder.

Jason

That sucks. I would die if that happened to me. Luckily, I've never seen a wolf spider.

we had a "pet" one living in our bedroom a few summers back, she was happy to let it stay cause it was a bad summer for flies and this one worked better at fly control than most anything else

I hope you never conceded this point to your wife. Sounds like a terrible roadblock when trying to convince her that you need more cps.

Yeah, we have wolf spiders up in washington as well...so far haven't seen any down here in florida, or any spiders for that matter, strangely enough...have seen a ton of palmeto bugs though, hate those things with a passion....

Est.....the plants couldnt keep up that summer.....

Kris.....i was down in Orlando for a week and saw al kinds of spiders......saw lots of these guys.....seemed to love being right at eye level
IMG_0064.jpg

saw lots of these guys.....seemed to love being right at eye level

Ah yeah, spined spiders. Funny thing is, those are probably the spiders I'm least fearful of. I guess because they don't really look much like spiders to me. They build really nice webs too.

Jason

Those are actually pretty neat. As DrWurm said, they don't really look much like spiders. For anything, that one has a smile on it. :)

Est.....the plants couldnt keep up that summer.....

Kris.....i was down in Orlando for a week and saw al kinds of spiders......saw lots of these guys.....seemed to love being right at eye level
IMG_0064.jpg

These are actually the only spiders I'll pick up. We called them "crab spiders" when I was a kid.

I don't think Wolf spiders are that scary though, just unique since they really acknowledge your presence. I've had them leap off the wall onto my shirt before.

Try harassing them with your finger sometime. They'll turn and lunge at you before making a break for it. Pretty smart for a spider. :cool:

Back