What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous cotyledons

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
I just noticed that both Ibicella lutea and Proboscidea parviflora have cotyledons that turned "carnivorous" with dew. :0o:

Nep seedlings don't do that... Any other CP genera does?

I just noticed that both Ibicella lutea and Proboscidea parviflora have cotyledons that turned "carnivorous" with dew. :0o:

Nep seedlings don't do that... Any other CP genera does?

They're not actually carnivorous. They do capture small prey and eventually the prey items die. However, the plant does not digest and/or absorb nutrients from the bugs. Since they can accomplish only a part of the requirements for a plant to be considered carnivorous, devil's claws are called quasi- or pseudo- carnivorous.

You'll see that as the devil's claw plants age, the new foliage will be covered with even more sticky hairs. Eventually the dewy substance will make the plant stink when grown in ideal conditions. I have found that the immature, developing fruit are the worst... they are super sticky and emit a rancid smell. I guess the plants do this for defense against pests and herbivores.

Just my 2 cents. :)

I've also been wondering about the dew on flower scapes that capture prey. Does it do anything nourishing?

Picture010-8.jpg

Back