What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing in southern california

I need advice from someone that is growing both VFTs and assorted forked sundews in a climate that is very dry and has very hot summers. I live around central to southern california in the high desert. I am growing VFTs and Dicatoma, Capensis, Marstons Dragon, and Multifidia Extrema. I recently moved them from the side of the house to the front where they get 8 hours of sunlight instead of the 4 they were getting. The sundews are getting pretty burnt along with the VFTs. I was considering moving the Sundews back to the side of the house because they were doing well there. However, im afraid that they won't be getting enough sunlight. Please give me some advice.

i would move the sundews to the other side, they are light hogs and get burned much easier, but leave the VFT where it is. The adapt to sun and actually do much better in very intense sun. The trick is to keep them wet too!

Remember, just keep 'em wet! ;)
Frankie

I would just keep them there. They'll adapt to more sun.

I always had luck watering often, but not keeping them in standing water/trays because in that heat it's like boiling the roots.
The vfts should adapt just fine, even if they initially die back quite a bit.

I wonder about the desert sun. It is much more intense than most parts of the country. I took a mid-day measure and got over 25000 fc. Can it adapt that far?

Honestly I think it's pushing it a bit despite what I said earlier. I spend some time down in Palm Springs/Desert area every year, and if it was me I would try a spot with morning sun and bright shade the rest of the day, or grow indoors. If not growing indoors, I would plant them in pots much bigger than they need in order to protect the roots. White pots too, if possible.

well the weather right now is mainly low to high 90s.. the front of the house that is south facing mainly gives them sun starting at 11-12 to 7-8.. There doing construction in my backyard and thats the only spot that gets morning sun and stops around 5-6.. they will go there when the construciton is over.. but i hope they will do fine with the late hours of sun for now.. but the sundews already have all their dew back and are actually growing faster on the side of the house.. the majority of the VFTs are still lookin pretty bad.. some of them are adapting better than others.. hopefully I wont lose any

How do you guys think a VFT would do in a climate where the temp is 111 at the moment? I'll be moving back to my old house come early to mid-october, and I wanted to start a mini- bog on my patio. It'll be on the north side for the summer and fall and on the south side for the winter and spring so it can get more light. During the summer, they'll have about a few hours of morning sun with a little early afternoon light, and bright shade the rest of the day, and in the winter, they'll have partial sun the entire day almost. I plan on putting in another VFT in there with it along with a S. Flava if I can get one. Do Sarracenia have the same intense sun, hot heat tolerating characteristics as most VFT's if they're healthy?

Back