What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pine Barren Pics - 2009 Trip

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
This year’s Pine Barrens trip, like all the other years was a great success. It was fun meeting up with other growers I have not seen in some time.
The weather was perfect during the days. There was a major thunder storm that hit Saturday night directly overhead the camping area and most likely woke everyone up. If it did not they were dead!

Here are some pics from the Friday paddle on Goshen Pond.

Pine-Barrens-09-001.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-012.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-013.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-027.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-030.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-034.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-039.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-043.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-055.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-075.jpg

Saturday paddle on Pohatong Lake.

Pine-Barrens-09-087.jpg

Could this be the crazy Swan Ron was talking about?

Pine-Barrens-09-101.jpg

You bet! (Start humming the JAWS theme.)

Pine-Barrens-09-093.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-095.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-116.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-118.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-121.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-130.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-132.jpg

First time I’ve see Sphagnum Moss with spores.

Pine-Barrens-09-136.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-141.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-149.jpg

I have not seen Ferns growing in water like this before.

Pine-Barrens-09-154.jpg

Sunday Morning we took a paddle on Atsion Lake.

I’ve never seen small Lilly Pads like this before. They where around the size of a quarter.

Pine-Barrens-09-156.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-157.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-158.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-177.jpg

Pine-Barrens-09-198.jpg

WOW! Very, very nice! I'm so jealous! Goshen Pond and Pohatong Lake are so...Goshen dang beautiful! ;) Lol, I love the swan.

Picture #15 = Dramatic S. purpurea.

that is a cool place to visit! Love the pictures and the plants! It is always nice to see CPs in the wild:) Thanx!

We had a great time - talking, exploring & often marveling at the beauty of the places we visited (when not being hassled by the swan). Here are some more pics:

An island of 'muck' on Goshen Pond filled with D. intermedia.
IntermediaislandRS.jpg

Steve mentioned the ferns growing in water 6-18" deep in several places. Gotta wonder how they got there ...
FernsRS.jpg

Saw these amazing flowers & had to snap a pic...
FlowerRS.jpg

Here's another little turtle striking a pose as it soaks up the sun ...
TurtleRS.jpg

My wife looking at something beside her boat. I really love the reflections ...
JoannereflectionRS.jpg

... & some more reflections ...
ReflectionRS.jpg

... & here's Steve working his way through a bit of a tight spot on one of the creeks we explored...
Stevecreek2RS.jpg

... & here's Steve working his way through a bit of a tight spot on one of the creeks we explored...
Stevecreek2RS.jpg
WOW, a pic of my whole boat. I'm used to seeing the tip with a pile of rope in the front.

WOW, GREAT photos! That little turtle looks PISSED!

Its hard to believe all that beauty considering that the rest of the state is a toilet!!
I lived in Burlington county for 25 years....the pine barrens were in my backyard....its about the only thing I miss about NJ...well that and tastycakes.

Its hard to believe all that beauty considering that the rest of the state is a toilet!!
Actually I grew up in PA & thought the same thing about NJ for many years. When someone else in NJ finds out we live in the state, the 1st question is always "What exit?" Actually - we've lived here more than 16 years now & I still don't know the answer. It seems that 90% of the population lives on the east quarter of the state (& outside Philly). If you ignore those areas, the state is actually OK. The Pine Barrens, the western & northwestern part of the state have an amazing amount of wildlife & tend to be have lots of beautiful places.

Thanks for sharing! So those are the spores...

FANTASTIC photos!! I have not been to the barrens for a few years......hopefully I will join you guys one year!
NJ does have a lot to offer in natural places and the location is very convenient for travel (beaches, moutains, NYC, Philadelphia etc. not far away). Taxes, insurance, and housing prices are high. I was born in Pennsy, but job took me here and at this point we are well established and happy.

FANTASTIC photos!! I have not been to the barrens for a few years......hopefully I will join you guys one year!
Thanks for the comments.

Just watch the forums, I'm sure I'll be posting for the trip again next year.

Excellent trip!

Thanks for sharing them with us,

Happy Growing,

Brian.

Beautiful!

I lived in Burlington county for 25 years....the pine barrens were in my backyard....its about the only thing I miss about NJ...well that and tastycakes.

I spent my childhood from 6 to 18 in Jersey (Essex County and shamefully have never had tastycakes. I still don't understand the toilet part though..maybe my parents shielded me from what ought not to be seen.

I spent my childhood from 6 to 18 in Jersey (Essex County and shamefully have never had tastycakes. I still don't understand the toilet part though..maybe my parents shielded me from what ought not to be seen.

I beleive when non-New Jersey residents think New Jersey they think Camden. But there are many nice parts of Jersey. My buddies and I always hit OCNJ every summer. I will never ever even consider moving there though, cost of living is outrageous and mostly because their firearms laws are Communist in nature. Working at a FFL for years and selling to NJ residents, I saw the bull they have to do to even buy a BB gun let alone a rifle, or God forbid a pistol and don't even think about an AR.

Back