What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earthquakes at Yellowstone

• Thread starter CN
  • Start date

CN

BANNED

Yellowstone is a ticking time bomb, and the documentaries on it aren't very promising.

I'm not really "near" Yellowstone here in MN but I'll be in the immediate fallout area if the place does go up. It'll probably be like Pompeii! :D

No sense worrying about it though, whatever happens, happens.

Well, scientists here have said that we're in for a big one, and soon, too...

...scary, isn't it?

If yellowstone explodes, to its full potential, it doesnt really matter how "close" you are..
basically the entire world is toast..

but I agree..no sense in worrying about the end of the world..
it honestly doesnt bother me at all..
if we go, we go..all we can do is make sure we are ready..whatever that might mean to you
personally..

Scot

soon in a geological sense means sometime in the next 10,000 years. Dont worry peeps.

It would be a mass extinction or sorts but I'm sure some people would survive. It would be a new post-apocalyptic type world. Maybe man moves underground living in factory-hives, growing veggies hydroponically with artificial lights, rebreather hoods, cyber augmentations, etc. It might be like Tank Girl with everyone fighting over power (energy) & water - I mean more than they do already! :D

there are earthquakes at yellowstone every day, its a massive active volcano, dozens a day.....every day since we put seismographs in the ground there.......

it wouldnt be mass extinction if it blows.....likely just wipe out what evers living in approximately 1/3 of the US and have a few cool years world wide due to ash in the air.....but it wouldnt be a massive extinction event, it wasnt when it blew big in the past.....

locals dont give it much thought cause when it finally blows they arent going to exist anymore, i think the term is vaporized......hell im 450 miles away and they will be measuring the debris in how many yards deep, my only hope would be enough warning that i can get far enough north into Canada that i would be OK, gonna prolly depend where the jet stream is........think the last time it blew it buried South Dakota in 12 or 14 feet of ash and such.......Texas even had deposits a couple feet deep.....

the US would be screwed.....the rest of the world will have a rough decade weather wise but the world will be far from toast.........

soon in a geological sense means sometime in the next 10,000 years. Dont worry peeps.

think more like 100,000 plus as being soon.....geologically speaking we still arent completely out of the last ice age........

It depends on the geologist's specialty, but the last couple million years are generally considered to be recent. During that time the planet has had a specific climate pattern/cycle and has had more or less the same life, although we seem to be working hard to change both of those.

I didn't see the special but have read a fair amount about it over the years and wonder how long we'd see a bad situation escalating. It would be a nightmare for the world food supply. However, a person's probability of dying in a traffic accident in the US is ~1% and the odds of dying because of a Yellowstone "supervolcano" must be a lot less than that, unless you accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake and drive into a geyser.

I <3 massive calderas. :)

I got the Earthquake Bulletin about it from the Earthquake Center.

the US would be screwed.....the rest of the world will have a rough decade weather wise but the world will be far from toast.........

The world will be more like a popsicle than toast- if the caldera blows, we'll enter another ice age. I'd look more forward to that than global warming saying that I live in Phoenix. LOL

it may or may not.....depends on alot of things......but humans made it through the last ice age just fine.....

The dominant hominid entering the last ice age wasn't the dominant hominid coming out of it. More importantly, none of them had modern weapons and they weren't already living beyond the earth's carrying capacity. Those issues magnify the effect of all kinds of what would otherwise be manageable problems.

Back