What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PPQ 587 Permit

• Thread starter CN
  • Start date

CN

BANNED

Hello Tf ,
Does anyone know anything about this PPQ 587 permit?
i applied last week for a Lvl 1 permit an validated it then waited for two days then filled out the application for a Lvl 2 PPQ 587 permit hit validate an confirm. An nothing happened .
So do they mail you the permit or email it . an if they mail it how long does it take to arrive in the mail . If any one can help me out in any way i will be very pleased .

Thanks Daren

It can take upwards of a month to receive a permit. It will arrive as both an electronic and hard copy document sent to your home or business address. You can then request labels for importation of plant materials.

I take it that you have already appeared at a USDA office to verify your ID and so forth to qualify for Level 2 status? That was a post- 9/11 requirement in California and I assume that that is consistent nationwide . . .

I don't even know what the levels are, does level 2 allow for exportation or what?
When I applied for mine back whenever it was, it took quite a while to get. I'd even forgot I'd applied by the time a huge packet of stuff finally came!

CN, I just applied for 621. It took about 3 weeks to get the permit.

I didn't show any ID either, I may have had to put my SS# on the application... I don't remember anymore.

621 is the Protected Plant Permit, also called General Permit and is used for uh protected plants listed on CITES and ESA.. import/export/reexport.

Technically it's for businesses but if your package arrives from overseas without one, the inspectors will go ballistic.

I always found it easier to just mail in the for the permit, none of this running around to get your ID checked on the other side of the state.

And Tony is correct, if you are importing you need to have both PPQ 587 and PPQ 621. PPQ is going to cost you $70 for 2 years

yes i am going to do the importing .

Then you will need both permits.

an the nice thing is is that a LRA office is only 15 miles away

You are lucky, mine is a 2 hour drive away. Hence my preference to do it all by mail.

I have two permits: an APHIS small lot of seed permit, and plant import permit (non-CITES).

I know that for the latter, if you apply online you must prove your identity in person at a local station. I found it easier and faster to print the application and mail it in.

Ken

Make sure you get up with the right "branch" of USDA. The phone number is on the application.

i spoke with two people at the USDA today angot nothing accomplished . they had absoluty no clue as to what the hell i was talking about

Trust me, after 4 years of importing I know quite well that you need PPQ 587 and PPQ 621.

yea Pyro,
i think i am on the verge of giving up with these dam permits it is to much of a headache . an will prolly only get worst come ordering time

Getting them the first time around without any solid contacts at USDA is indeed a pain. Once you have the permits in hand life is usually much easier but you still hit the occasional hiccup.

Do me a favor. PM me with who you are importing from and what you are trying to bring in. I'll double check with my USDA inspection agent on what you need (For future, the agents at the inspection station usually know better what you need then the people in the offices answering phones.) Then consider going the old fashioned paper route. That seems a bit more reliable if slightly more time consuming.

Back