What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fungus gnats

i have fungus gnat larvae in my pot that i just put a whole bunch of nepenthes seeds in to sprout! i heard they will eat the seeds. what can i do? im guessing theyve been there the whole time since i leave my bale of peat moss outside under the porch....

They eat roots, they're only a pest in seedling pots. Your best bet is neem oil. If you have full size plant the gnats just act as a good natural fertilizer.

yes its a seedling pot... are they doomed?

I bedroom is full of little gnats because I have several CPs on my windowsill.

They eat roots, they're only a pest in seedling pots. Your best bet is neem oil. If you have full size plant the gnats just act as a good natural fertilizer.

+1 to neem oil.

Have patience with it. It usually takes a few days to kick in.

i just spray it on the soil?

Yes just spray the soil and spray for 1-2 weeks every 2-3 days at the dilution the bottle states (though you can get away with full strength). Be careful though it has a stench to it : /
Your seedlings may be fine though, just because the gnats are there does not mean that ALL seedlings will perish. They're really a minor inconvenience in comparison to other pests.

BTi is a better bet. Neem oil can interfere with cellular division (that's where its anti-fungal properties comes into play). Not something that would be good for seedlings. Mosquito Dunks is a readily available source of BTi.

Back