What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fave weird movies?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Fear of A Black Hat looks great - I'll have to hunt for that one. I don't like Rap at all but the Wiki page makes me wanna see it.

Toys was a great weird movie. I forgot about that one too! I always watch it when it's rerun on Comedy Central once or twice a year. I don't generally like Robin Williams' movies but Toys and Dead Poet Society I liked. Something about Toys reminds me of Bladerunner and I'm not sure what it is.

I saw a terrible horror movie about magic mushrooms once called Shrooms. It took place in Ireland (I don't think psychedelic fungi has been known for growing there) and all the kids like go to hell when they eat them. I knew it would be a stupid movie but it was even worse than I'd imagined. lol!

Fear of A Black Hat looks great - I'll have to hunt for that one. I don't like Rap at all but the Wiki page makes me wanna see it.

Toys was a great weird movie. I forgot about that one too! I always watch it when it's rerun on Comedy Central once or twice a year. I don't generally like Robin Williams' movies but Toys and Dead Poet Society I liked. Something about Toys reminds me of Bladerunner and I'm not sure what it is.

I saw a terrible horror movie about magic mushrooms once called Shrooms. It took place in Ireland (I don't think psychedelic fungi has been known for growing there) and all the kids like go to hell when they eat them. I knew it would be a stupid movie but it was even worse than I'd imagined. lol!

Hm, I forgot to mention "Black Sheep" as a very weird twist to the usual werewolf story and how about a little HP Lovecraft weirdness in "From Beyond"? Then there is total fetish, freakiness in "Lair of the White Worm" and from the same director the very odd "Crimes of Passion" starring a very young Kathleen Turner.

I was introduced to a short called Rolling Bomber Special a few years ago. I dig it. It reminds me of a movie I didn't like nearly as much, Nowhere.
Glad to see Zardoz and Wild Zero made it. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, too. What about Existenz, Circle of Iron, and Mr. Vampire? Killer of Snake, Fox of Shaolin is fun too, but it's more campy than weird. Speaking of camp, how about Sleepaway Camp? :D

Weird music videos: (thanks again, Japan)
Denki Groove - Flashback Disco
RIP Slyme - Galaxy
RIP Slyme - Splash
RIP Slyme - I.N.G.
The last two seem especially weird to me as they actually ran on Japanese TV as ads.

And the B52s
(Fun fact - when I was little I thought the B52s and the Kids in the Hall were composed of the same people.)
~Joe

Sleepaway Camp that brings up memories... I think it was Sleepaway Camp 2 that accidentally slipped beneath my TV stand when I was a kid and I ended up owing like $90 in late fees to the video store! They never got it but I did give their movie back - through the late nite drop off slot! :D

I've finally got a copy of Innocents From Hell coming my way. I rented that a number of times as a kid but haven't seen it since. The copy I'm getting is an original VHS with the sleeve, just like I remember. I guess it hasn't even been put on DVD... lol!

I'm glad they still make VCR head cleaners cos I have a lot of things still on VHS tape that were never on DVD.

You should think about getting a digitizer to convert your VHS collection - I know purists always hate the suggestion, but VHS cassettes die rather easily and from the sound of it you've probably got some rare stuff around. And once you convert them, you never have to deal with VCR mishaps again.
~Joe

Even though some of these have been mentioned, I simply must add my imput!

First of all, Brazil is one of my favorite films. I'm a huge fan of Distopian society films/books, and Brazil is certainly a great satire.

Also, I haven't seen this one mentioned yet, but Memento is also a really great film. No spoilers, but I think that messing with the timeline is really an interesting notion.

I started watching Akira last night and it was pretty amazing. I only got about halfway through because I started it at 3AM after working all night, but it was very stylistic and the animation quality blew me away.

Akira (1988) - A secret military project endangers Neo-Tokyo when it turns a biker gang member into a rampaging psionic psychopath that only two kids and a group of psionics can stop.

Warner Bros. is currently working on a live action adaptation, but we probably won't see it until 2012.
http://liveactionanime.org/2009/07/29/laa-akira-still-in-the-pipeline/

Yeah, I'd like to put the VHS on DVD. I had bought a DVD recorder some time ago for that reason but it didn't work by the time I got around to fooling with it (almost a year after purchase...lol). When I did try to use it, it played one DVD and then wouldn't recognize any disks, blank or pre-recorded ever again. :(

Hey how about 28 days later and the sequel 28 weeks later, has any one seen that?

Akira was amazing, my fav anime (Kaneda! Tetsuo!! they couldn't just talk to each other, they had to scream their names first, lol),
and then there's Ghost in a Shell as well...
Ninja Scroll was also one I played over and over again.

Now i have to go rent Akira again...*shakes fist at CH* ;)

Back