What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virus problem (Advanced Virus Removal)

On Windows XP
So, I've been up since around 1:30AM (now going on 6AM) trying to get rid of this freaking virus. It came out of nowhere and originated with the AVR. I can only run my anti spyware/virus program (Webroot Spy Sweeper) for about 15 minutes before I get the blue screen and automatic restart. It finds about four different files consisting of trojans, malware, virus, and adware. Even if I stop the sweep and quarantine them (which I did and it mostly got rid of the AVR), they come back, which leads me to believe there's more to be found deeper in the system. I tried an online sweeper, but had the same problem.
When I try to go into safe mode, I get a blue screen that says something about a virus, then it restarts. There's another type of safe mode (windows service pack 3 or something) but I get the same problem with the sweeper. I get the same blue screen, which says something about a driver problem. I figured this safe mode would fix my problem because the program/virus/whatever boots up in the tray at the bottom.
The worst part is that this isn't my laptop. My laptop is out of commission due to some hardware issues, and I've been using my moms. She's out of town and will be back tomorrow, and if even the slightest thing is wrong with the laptop it's automatically my fault and I'm screwed.
Anyone have any idea on what else I can do?

Did you try the following?

Start->>Run->>Type"MSCONFIG" and then shut down all startup items and try to find the virus services that are running in the background.

Sigh...no, I didn't, although I've done that before for other stuff. I'll give it a shot after this sweep I've got going, may actually be making a bit of progress here finally. Thanks for the help.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Read the "Read Me" completely before downloading and running any of the software. Follow each recommended step. If you still have a problem, create an account, post a message describing the problem and upload the logs.

If you don't you can cause more harm than good and make it even tougher on everybody to fix your system.

There are many other sites which will provide help but work with only one or you'll just complicate matters needlessly.

The one program that is my failsafe is Malwarebytes. Also, I would download AVG or Avast antivirus in place of Spy Sweeper. All of these are powerful and free.

Jason

I also recommend Malware bytes.
Try opening task manager, go to processes, and then try to find and end the process(s) responsible for the fake AV software, that should make it easier to fix by temporarily stopping the popup scans and stuff.

And stay away from the pRon!! :-))

I will also recommend Avast! Antivirus as well as Spybot S&D (stands for Search and Destroy) I only had these two free programs for protection on my XP setup for a long time.

Everyone has been spot on with their suggestions. I hope something works for you. If it were my computer, I would put the files that couldn't be replaced (pictures, music) on a disk to be scanned later and do a complete wipe of the computer. If you can't get it working and it looks like a wipe is imminent, at least find your mom's recovery disk to make the process smoother. If no recovery disk...well, that would be another thread.

Good luck!

yeah, definitely put the pictures on, documents, and some important videos if you have any. The emotional toll on losing some precious pictures would just be too much i think.

Back