What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7th Annual NECPS show coming up!

schloaty

Staff member
Providence RI: The award winning New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) will again be
hosting the Fall Carnivorous Plant Show at the Roger Williams Park Botanical Center Providence
RI. Plant lovers and all those who enjoy something different will be able to get up close to hundreds
of carnivorous plants exhibited by the members of the NECPS. Featured plants will include pitcher
plants from Malaysia with traps the size of softballs that are capable of eating lizards and mice, There
will also be sundews from Australia ranging from the size of a dime to 12+ inches high and the everpopular
Venus Fly trap. For you native plant lovers, NECPS will also display carnivorous plants that
grow locally in Rhode Island and throughout New England.

This is the largest collection of carnivorous plants displayed yearly on the
east coast and the most popular show at the Botanical Center.

Over 300 plants are scheduled to be on display !
Free seminars on growing and feeding carnivorous plants will be offered!
Lots of opportunities for photographers!

Visit the Venus Fly Trap feeding area where you can observe up close how these plants devour
insects. Plants and growing accessories will be available for purchase for both novice and
experienced growers from carnivorous plant vendors and the NECPS. The permanent carnivorous
plant bog exhibit will also be available for viewing. Society members will be present both days to
explain how the plants feed, what they eat, where they live, and how they can be grown and enjoyed
at home.
Admission to the show is FREE with the purchase of regular admission to the
Roger Williams Park Botanical Center
Admission to the RWP Botanical Center is $3 for adults
$1 Children 6 to12, under 6 FREE

Dates and times: Saturday, September 26, 2009 from 11:00 AM till 4:00 PM
Sunday, September 27, 2009 from 10:00 AM till 3:00 PM

1000 Elmwood Avenue
Providence RI 02905

For additional information about this exciting upcoming event, please visit www.NECPS.org
(Please note that this event is not located at the Zoo. The Botanical Center Greenhouses are located
across from the Providence Police Mounted Command station in the Park. Follow directional signs
located throughout the park or visit www.NECPS.org for directions.)
The New England Carnivorous Plant Society
PO Box Saunderstown, RI 02874​

Actually Dave, I would say your show is THE best in the USA. None of the silly politics like we have here. I'll bet your judges wouldn't even consider awarding Best Of Show Grand Champion to a cactus and succulent dish garden at a carnivorous plant exhibition. Some people I guess!

Best of luck to you and the folks who produce this wonderful event. I'm always amazed at how successful they've become.

Philcula, I absolutely agree with you. Maybe if you and some of your friends displayed your carnivorous plants at a cactus and succulent show you would win Grand Champion. I am thinking of taking my prize begonia to the Bromeliad society show and see what happens LOL.

They do not offer this on the westcoast do they? or similar to it?? I am from CA man where can i go?

Plantea,

You can get yourself a round trip ticket to RI! Worth every penny! We've had people come up from FL, TN, NC....all over!

Phil, thanks for the compliment! I'll pass that along to our President.

It is worth every penny. I think I enjoyed hanging out with everyone more than the actual plants, although the plants were beyond amazing, too.

xvart.

They do not offer this on the westcoast do they? or similar to it?? I am from CA man where can i go?

Miguel: The BACPS has an annual show as well. You've missed it. It was about two months ago.

When I see "BACPS" I always pronounce it "Bay-Caps".

When I see "LACPS" I always pronouce it "Lay-Caps".

So is NECPS....Knee Caps? :D

i say "buh-cups", "la (as in la la la) cups" and "neck-ups" lol. :) For some reason the NECPS just seems to work better. Im very sad about that. We need a revolution out here!:rant:

I just say the New England carnivorous plant society or n-e-c-p-s. I enjoyed last year, saw a lot of plants in person I hadn't before.

I went two years ago and I can only say it's an amazing show run by amazing people. Only bad thing about the NECPS is that they are in New England instead of the Carolinas. If you get a chance to go you have to do it. I'm thinking about going again this year.

Nuts! Ozz, why did you advertize that? Now NO ONE will want to come, if YOU are gonna be there!

:poke: :-))

The more Ozzy, the better!:usa2:

Just make sure Ozzy doesn't sneak a bunch of cockroaches with him. I'd love to see the reactions of people when they feel a cockroach crawling up their leg...

I would truly love to come to one of those meetings...someday ;)

Hey Petmantis,

Cockroaches would be a welcome snack! For the plants, I mean....

It's the moooost wonder ful tiiiiiiime of the year.....

Good news or as Dave said bad news for everybody else, I will be attending the meeting on Saturday. Airline ticket has been purchased so there's no backing out now. If this show is like the one 2 years ago and I'm sure it will be, it's going to be a blast.

Sorry Dave for announcing it, but I thought I'd give the bars plenty of warning this time so they have no excuse for running out of beer.

Petmantis if I can get the roaches past airport security, I'll bring you all you want.

You missed out on last year Ozzy, $1 drafts at this dive bar at the Motel 6 offa I95
Classy place...

Maybe this year we can all go out in Providence for the Saturday night after-party, could get a taxi-van cause I sure ain't driving!

I know I missed out last year. You don't have to get a taxi, I'll be the designated driver.

:angel:

:drunk:

Back