What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question regarding water

Hello. Well, it's been a very long, wet winter here and for the first time, I was actually able to collect a great deal of all that lovely water. However, what I am seeing is a lot of sediment collected in the tanks... nothing major, just a few leaves and some dust. What I was wanting to know is, prior to using this water on my plants, should I run it through some type of filtration system. I was thinking of rigging up something simple, maybe something with activated carbon. What do you guys think?

How did you collect the water? Were do you live? If you are just leaving winter, you certainly don't live in my hemisphere! :)

Must be Australia or something eh?

If you can get a cooking strainer lay a thin cheap tee shirt or rag in it and pour the water through into another pail. That should get out all the "stuff". If you can get some chicken wire in 1" mesh size to lay over the opening of your water collection containers, that should keep the bulk most of the leaves and twigs out but still allow in about 99.9% of the rain.

Or you take a hand towel and line a spaghetti collander, in a large vessel... and pour.

I don't worry about it, except for any water going into a sprayer, which I try to avoid filling with debris. But I don't filter it, I just pour carefully.

Yeah, I'm in West Australia. I bought some black, plastic bins, took the lids off and set em out, upside down. Each lid holds like 10L and I have five. They normally fill within two days, so 50L every couple of days which I just pour into the bins which are being kept under the veranda.

Back