What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!! Mites!

Chomp

Oops
I looked into my terrarium today, and I found that it was crawling with mites! What do I do?

First, bring your plants outside and get a can of gasoline and some matches, then pour the... no. :D

You can try misting your plants with 90% rubbing alcohol, this generally kills most insect pests on contact but is still very safe for almost all plants. I've done neps, sundews and pings in the past I currently use it on my cacti and succulents. You'll have to be diligent and do it a few times to actually kill all of them and kill any new ones that emerge from eggs already laid. After about a month of mistng every 5 days or so they ought to be gone. I keep a hand mister filled with isopropyl alcohol for wiping out sudden infestations AND delousing all new acqusitions before they have a chance to infect my old stock.

Try some neem oil, I hear its good for repelling mites

you sure it was mites and not round springtails?
what color are the pests in question?
where do you see the biggest population?

if they are mites, i know how it is, i had a huge infestation of red spider mites awhile ago, i nuked em with repeated treatments of orthenex and neem oil, yeah i pretty much nuked the little bugs....
the double doses of the two, plus treatment every 4 days or so took a bit of a toll on a few of my plants, made em kinda mad for a couple weeks until new growth started, then it was back to healthy full growth....
did the same thing with thrips not too long ago, sarras pitchers looked rather ragged, but new healthy ones have grown to replace them....
freakin thrips/mites/scale....ive dealt with all 3 this year ;\

Okey. Thanx guys!
My plants are saved!

I second Kris's question if they were springtails. Do they move kind of fast and jump a bit?

Back