What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluish-black Bug ID

These have been flying around my plants recently, and I just started finding them all nice and digested in reopened fly traps. Anyone know what they are? They're shiny bluish-black.

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

Or a similar wasp. The vast majority of wasps are good to have around.

I find those ugly things sucking up the nectar on all my Sarracenia, yet they never get caught in the pitchers...they always seem to stay on the rim ;)

I bring out Mr. Bugswatter every time they decide to sit down on the cement ;)

they eat spiders and caterpillars, depending on the species. I recently found a fallen nest full of larvae and paralyzed--but still alive--spiders for the larvaes food. nomnomnom. Very cool bugs.

they eat spiders and caterpillars, depending on the species. I recently found a fallen nest full of larvae and paralyzed--but still alive--spiders for the larvaes food. nomnomnom. Very cool bugs.

That's awesome. It's amazing what you learn about things like bugs and moss, just from dabbling in the carnivorous plant hobby.

Can these things sting (humans), like the wasps we're all familiar with? They don't seem to want to, as I've treated them as family when I'm out with my plants, but I'm wondering if the can.

they probably can sting you, but i doubt you would either feel it or if it would hurt very much. No clue though. It is very awsome indeed, you start realizing how everything and everything is interconnected, and it is amazing. :)

Be careful if you grow sarracenia, they will set up nests in the pitchers, chew holes through them, etc. I try to kill them when I see them, as they make my plants look bad :/. Unfortunately they are much harder to kill than caterpillars + mealybugs.

Back