What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About time we see this!

• Thread starter glider14
  • Start date
That was staged. I betcha. How would a mouse (it is a mouse, not a rat) get onto (what looks to be) an upper pitcher?

That was staged. I betcha. How would a mouse (it is a mouse, not a rat) get onto (what looks to be) an upper pitcher?

Climb/Jump?

It's hard to tell but it looks like he was licking the nectar.

Mice do like to climb but I do see trash piled up behind the pitcher so it appears to be taken indoors. It would be easy to put a mouse on it and let it fall in. I wonder if they pulled the mouse out after they shut off the camera.

having had to deal with a house full of deer mice cause i livedon the edge of a wheat field for awhile.....mice are EXTREAMLY good climbers.....you wouldnt believe the kinds of things they can easily climb....if they wanted to they could climb a nepenthes vine with lil trouble....

also given it was a white lab mouse....of course it was staged......

I bet it was staged, plus we didnt really see the mouse eaten, just falling in. I bet it was either pulled out afterward or chewed its way out. Mice can climb just about anything so it could have climbed up there but still it was likely put up there.

Alright...ive seen this exact video before, it was staged lol, the person admitted to it in a comment on youtube.
But for some non-staged action, here is a video that Siggy Hartmeyer (the man you brought you the Borneo Exotics documentary) shot in his greenhouse, this one is a truncata rather than spathulata however.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ote5-e53Sw

Let me put it to you this way: Assuming that nepenthes produces enough nectar to make it attractive to a well-fed mouse, what do you think the chance that someone was there at the right place, at the right time to catch the video?

There are several videos like this on youtube that you can tell are staged. The mouse isn't really interested in the plant. In one of those videos, the mouse is paying more attention to the people off screen and trying to reach them, than in the plant.

im pretty sure that Siggy's is real. and the mice are probably attracted to the smell of the rotting insects...

Back