What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last week's adventure (pic heavy)

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
Thought some of you might enjoy pictures from the backpacking trip I did last week. I usually do several dozen hikes and backpacking trips per year, but I had wanted to do this one for some time. My buddy (and his dog) and I covered 33 miles over 3.5 days. We went to the Red Castle area of the High Uintas Wilderness in Utah. The namesake is a peak in the center of the upper bowl called Red Castle, which resembles a castle that glows red in early or late light. The peaks range from the upper 12's to lower 13's in altitude. The lakes in the bowl itself range at altitudes between 10700' to 11600' Our goal was to spend a few days in the area with one day devoted to summitting nearby Wilson Peak, 13060'. The weather was cool and cloudy the first couple days. The temps fell to 25F at night, to a high of 45F in the day. We did get a skiff of snow, but it didn't accumulate. On the last day, it cleared up and warmed up into the 60's.

So, on to the pics! The first 9 miles of the trail in are in thick forest, with nothing much to see. After a long day of hiking, we are finally rewarded with our first views of Red Castle just a mile below the lakes.
IMG_9156.jpg

Here's the lower lake, which we camped near for the night. There was also a group of horseback riders who were camped in the bowl. The horses seemed to enjoy their buffet.
IMG_9163.jpg

Some of the local flora:
IMG_9168.jpg

IMG_9175.jpg

IMG_9196.jpg

IMG_9200.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

A pic of Red Castle taken through my sunglasses. It really brought out the red in the midday sun.
IMG_9177.jpg

Another pic of Red Castle above an area pond:
IMG_9183.jpg

Another small pond (one of dozens) in the bowl.
IMG_9180.jpg

In the distance is Wilson Peak, our goal. It is much further than it looks!
IMG_9182.jpg

Wilson Peak in its entirety above Red Castle Lake. Our route was to gain the pass on the right, then scramble left up to the summit ridge, then cross that to the actual peak on the left.
IMG_9188.jpg

Looking across Red Castle Lake:
IMG_9194.jpg

The trail stopped at the lake, so from there on we just hiked by line of sight. First we had to gain the upper bowl, then on to the pass. It was just one endless boulder hop. Along the way:
IMG_9198.jpg

Upper Red Castle Lake in the higher bowl. It sits at about 11600' and well above treeline. The peak rises sharply 1400' above this upper lake (just off the right edge of the picture).
IMG_9207.jpg

Here we are climbing up the pass. The rocks gave away for a bit in fields of soft grass. It was sweet relief on my chewed up feet! From here, the scramble left and up the ridge didn't look all that bad.
IMG_9204.jpg

Finally! After hours of scrambling up loose rock, we made it to the pass. Only to see more of the same. You can see my buddy in his red jacket. At this point we are at about 12400'. The wind was making itself known here! From here, we just look what seems to be the easiest route up. It was tricky, as from below, you cannot see entire sections of cliff above. We'd get to an area, only to find it impassable. It required a lot of backtracking. Plus, this stuff is loose and slippery, and the slope was steep.
IMG_9210.jpg

Some detail of the rock. It was quite a mix; lots of boulders, then fields of shale, then sharp granite. Lots of colors also, pinks, yellows, greens, it was pretty, but a royal pain in the arse (oh and in the feet also).
IMG_9262.jpg

IMG_9265.jpg

One of the trickier sections. My friend can be seen if you look closely, on the upper right side. We had to shimmy across this face. On the other side was a chute we were able to scramble up. Exposure was quite bad. A slip would be fatal, so the going was slow. The dog did surprisingly well!
IMG_9213.jpg

On top of the chute, and looking across the north face of the peak.
IMG_9217.jpg

And looking up from the same area. More of the same. It seemed like it would never end. We were both pretty miserable by here. Routefinding is tedious, slow, and discouraging. The summit ridge is in sight. We had to scramble up the rocks right above. There was no way around this cliff band, so we went for the part with the most handholds.
IMG_9215.jpg

On top! It had taken us half a day to get from our camp at the lake up to this point, much longer than we had expected. The views were spectacular! From here, it was a hike of 3/4 miles east to the actual summit point. We were planning on descending that side and into a different bowl, making for a big loop. Views from along the top:
IMG_9227.jpg

IMG_9269.jpg

IMG_9225.jpg

IMG_9224.jpg

IMG_9231.jpg

You can see the summit point in the distance:
IMG_9234.jpg

View into the bowl below with all the Red Castle Lakes. The upper and middle are visible. The lower one we camped at is out of sight.
IMG_9228.jpg

IMG_9258.jpg

Looking across the ridge onto Red Castle peak itself. I loved the rock formations here:
IMG_9244.jpg

Ok, on to the summit point. My friend is just ahead. To the left, the drop was near vertical, so we tried to stay on the right side of the high points. Exposure wasn't too bad most of the way, but there were a few small iffy parts.
IMG_9240.jpg

Gaining the summit point (13060'):
IMG_9241.jpg

GPS on top! GPS derived altitude isn't exact.
IMG_9259.jpg

Looking back across the summit ridge profile:
IMG_9260.jpg

From the high point, looking east. In the distance is Kings Peak, the highest point in the state. Our plan was to descend into this bowl, but no good. It would have required ropes; it was much higher class terrain than we expected. Light was running out, so we didn't stay long. Plus were were cold, hungry, and tired. We needed to at least be back to the pass by dark to avoid the worst parts.
IMG_9250.jpg

On the way back. The sun is shining on our almighty pass ahead and below. We had to hurry as this terrain would be a disaster in dark. We had headlamps, but on slippery scree and cliffs it is too dangerous.
IMG_9261.jpg

Views on the way down:
IMG_9268.jpg

We did make the pass just in time to see the sunset on Red Castle. We had hoped to be at camp by then, the views would have been perfect from there. But this had to do. Definitely looks best in this light!
IMG_9284.jpg

IMG_9297.jpg

The rest of the hike down was by headlamp. It was slow...no trail to follow, and nothing but boulder hopping. We had left camp at 11am that morning, and make it back at 1 am the next morning. A few things slowed us down: The rocks were slipperier than planned, so the going was slow. It was steeper than planned. We moved slow due to sore feet from the rocks. But mainly route finding ate up most the time. Plus, by the time we were on top, we were both getting hypoxic, fighting headaches, dizziness, and fatigue. We needed to be at our best at the point we could least rely on it. So we went slow and made sure of each step.

It was a very deep sleep that night, to the howling of coyotes. We had our little schnauzer to guard us though, so all was well.

Ok, time to go home, a full day's hike out. The weather was better, it was warming up. It was a spectacularly beautiful day. We were in 'get there now' mode, but I managed a couple pics on our way down.

Red Castle:
IMG_9304.jpg

Yours truly!
IMG_9307.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics as much as I enjoyed taking them!

Woah, WHAT a view!!! That must've been one sweet trip!

Wow, stunning photography. I'll have to go out there some time.

Jason

wow! That's so amazing!! That's a great veiw! VERY nice!

Beautiful area to be chillaxing!

Wow!! Truly incredible. Thanks for taking the time to capture & post these wonderful pics. This looks like weeks of hiking and yet - only 3.5 days?? Beyond the great scenery pics, I was amazed at some of the rock (& flower) closeups - very interesting. Thanks for sharing that level of detail.
It was a very deep sleep that night, to the howling of coyotes. We had our little schnauzer to guard us though, so all was well.
Great mental image! :-))

Great pics.

Would have loved to go along.

I LOOOOOOVE stuff like this! Your pictures are breathtaking and excellent quality! Thank you for sharing with us!

WHAT!? No CPs!?

Wow, those shots are just incredible. I really gotta love how the rocks are all square and such.

Glad you liked them. I had hundreds of pics to sort through. Ya, we packed a lot into those days. It's pretty typical for me, pushing myself hard on these trips. I have so many awesome photos from hikes I've done earlier this year. Maybe I'll add tjose when I get time.

Gorgeous place!

Back