What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Out of Bound Picture attempt

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Out of Bound Picture is an altered picture where the contents are taken are taken outside the boundaries to make it appear 3D.

I had seen some Out of Bound pictures some time ago and thought they where neat so I finally decided to give it a try.

OOB-Butterfly.jpg

I think I should move the top border down more so it makes the flowers appear more 3D.
Not sure about the background either.

What do you think?

Very cool and that's amazing for a first attempt. I bought a print years ago of a watercolor painting that has a cow reaching out of the "frame" to eat a bouquet of flowers. Your picture reminded me of it right away. I agree about moving the top border and I think I'd do it while rotating the top of the "inner photo" forward and slightly to the left to get a better alignment with the flowers.

cool. I love the monarch :) whats the program?

Very cool and that's amazing for a first attempt. I bought a print years ago of a watercolor painting that has a cow reaching out of the "frame" to eat a bouquet of flowers. Your picture reminded me of it right away. I agree about moving the top border and I think I'd do it while rotating the top of the "inner photo" forward and slightly to the left to get a better alignment with the flowers.
Thanks for the comment.
Played around with it some more, like this one much better.
I may be making some more of these...... I have some ideas to try on some CP's.

OOB-Butterfly-1.jpg

awgaupp,
Photoshop....... lots of layers, masks, color corrections.......... Lots of time.

Here's the original pic I used. No corrections.

origButterfly.jpg

Last edited:
I like the second one better; the tiled background was a little distracting. The blue is nice for contrast.
~Joe

I like the new background too. I prefer the composition of the first because it looks more like the butterfly landed on a plant growing out of a photo. To me, the second looks more like a plant growing through some kind of cosmic window in space. It's still very striking, but I think I like the other better. Of course all that matters is what you prefer.

herenorthere,
Thanks for the comments.
I think I need to get the framing of the first pic of the flower and background of the second. Maybe move the bottom frame edge up and not have any of the flower growing over the edge. Then have the butterfly OOB. Then it should look like a picture of a flower that a butterfly landed on.

Here are 2 more that I was playing around with today instead of doing things I should have been. LOL

OOB-Bridge.jpg

OOB-VFT.jpg

now that is cool. you could do some really creative art with that. Are those all of your pics.

now that is cool. you could do some really creative art with that. Are those all of your pics.
Thanks.
Yes they are all my pictures I've taken.

I love nature photography. Been taking macro nature pics since 1989.

I have a friend who is an artist and goes to a lot of shows. He's been bugging me for a few years to print some pics up. He has the mat cutters, foam board, and sealer to package everything up to sell. He tells me my pics are better then a lot he sees at the shows. Not sure I believe him. I may only have enough pics I think are worth while to count on 1 hand.
But anyway, I'm finally looking at some of my pics since I do have my plant show coming up and told them I'd have some nature pics also. So I need to get them done now.

Here's the framing of the first flower with the good background.
I like both prints. I may have to print out 1 or 2 of each and see which, if any, will sell.

OOB-Butterfly1.jpg

Nice. For a background, how about taking a photo of a tabletop with a few photos scattered around or of an open scrapbook or photo album? Then turn one of them into an out of bound photo. The VFT photo illustration made me think of it. By the way, here's the print I mentioned before that aims for the same effect:

finerdining.jpg

Those are awesome!!!

Wow! That bridge one and the VFT one is amazing! Great pictures and great photoshopping. Must have been a pain lassoing all those VFT teeth and the bridge supports :p. I'd say you could probably make some money off those.
Of course I had to copy you, so I hope you don't mind me posting my second attempt (if you do let me know and I'll remove it.)

darlingtoniaoutofboundcopy.jpg

Glad to hear that people are liking them.
Wow! That bridge one and the VFT one is amazing! Great pictures and great photoshopping. Must have been a pain lassoing all those VFT teeth and the bridge supports :p. I'd say you could probably make some money off those.
Of course I had to copy you, so I hope you don't mind me posting my second attempt (if you do let me know and I'll remove it.)
I can not believe you! How dare you post one of those pictures in my thread. What's wrong with you!.....J/K
Great work.

I actually started with the bridge and very quickly went to an easier shot to work with in the butterfly. Photoshop has some was to making selection easy.
I'm getting pretty fast at these now. Opens up a whole new array of pictures to take to the show.

Here's a couple more I was playing with.

OOB-Fireworks.jpg

LH-Bird.jpg

I haven't gone beyond the occasional color balance or underexposure correction, so am stunned by what you people are doing. How long are you spending on those?

The fireworks one is amazing! Awesome job. :D

Magic! :-O

Thanks again for the comments.

I haven't gone beyond the occasional color balance or underexposure correction, so am stunned by what you people are doing. How long are you spending on those?
I have not timed myself, but think I'm getting it down to where I can convert a picture in 30 - 45 minutes.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Here's another one I was playing with. Just under 30 minutes.

OOB-Gecko-Rock.jpg

Very impressive. Congrats!

Its a bit rough, but here is something I just put together:

bridge.jpg

Scot

Back