What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does dried latex paint hurt plants?

Someone thought it was a good idea to sand some doors upwind from my grow area and now I have many white specks peppering my water trays, pots and stuck to my sundews.

Will this kind of paint harm my collection? I've emptied out the water in the trays as a precaution but haven't done anything to the soil yet.

Paint experts, please advise.

I think many if not all latex paints contain a few percent calcium carbonate (limestone), so CPs won't want to grow in pure latex paint chips. A little dust probably won't kill them, but you'll need to be the judge of how much of a dose they got.

I'd just pick out what you can, if you have an air compressor maybe a few short, low pressure, bursts across the soil (not down at it) will send the chips up and away. Unfortunately the current leaves will still probably leave a little to be desired but at least they'll possibly grow out of it if you can pick the bulk of the stuff out.

My dews all got wiped out this year by the cottonwood trees. There's a huge one right behind my patio that just dumped and dumped almost all summer long. I gave up trying to pluck them clean of the fluff. It looked like it was snowing in the backyard most of the time. My VFT died back to the tuber but it came back once the cottonwood finally quit seeding in early August. Next year I'm building a frame out of 1" x 1" wood covered in clear screen mesh that will fit over my plant shelf to avoid having this happen again.

God I hate cottonwood trees!
Allergy hell.

Back