What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My RO/DI unit experience

Thanks guys, the reason I settled on 5 ppm is because I use to get my RO water from Wally world from one of those machines. The water tested at 30 ppm and after a few weeks ended up burning most of my Neps. When I flushed the pots the water flushing out from the bottom of the pots was reading 200+ ppm. I'd rather spend the 30 bucks every 5-6 months than do a periodic flush and watch each and every pot.
The RO water pre-bottled from wally world was reading 7-8 ppm back from I purchased it so I figure going with 5, maybe even 10 ppm is a safe bet.

The only other option I can think is that the machine wasnt filtering out something that caused the plants to decline.

Yes Yann, there must have been something else in that water because 30ppm wouldn't burn your Neps.

Very interesting thread! Especially since I'm finally going to get an R/O Filter after all these years...
I live in an apt and might move again in a year so it's the easy install, portable, counter-top units I'm interested in.
This one in particular looks interesting because it's not as "ugly" as the other ones:
R/O Filter1

These are interesting too, especially Style A:
R/O Filter2

And this guy seems kinda standard:
R/O Filter3

Any advice or thoughts from those who have experience with R/O Filters would be greatly appreciated.
It's really about time I get one of these... I go through probably 14 Gallons every 8 days. The Neps being the thirsty-ist, with the 5 gal tank w/ heater for the Lowland chamber taking up almost 2 gals a week and the misting another gal a week... The other CP's barely take up any!

The best place to but a R/O unit is ebay. $100 fr a 100gpd with tank and faucet.

My RO unit uses 3 pre-filters and 1 post-filter. It cost $250 but that was 7 years ago. I keep mine under the kitchen sink.

-Hermes.

We use an RODI unit for salt water aquariums. I can add a few things that can make life easier. If you replace the membrane in your system there is a set amount of water or a period of time to let the unit run before collecting. New membranes are usually shipped wet with an anti fungal added. You need to flush this out. You can also set up any size bucket or trash can to shut off when its full with a float valve and a solenoid valve. Many larger tanks have auto top off systems saving you from carrying water. My 90 gallon reef tank evaporated 3 gallons a day. Any fish store should have everything you need to set it up and its not costly at all. The line on most RODI units is the same line as an ice maker water line. A boost pump can also be added cutting your waste water by about half depending on your water source.

Hope this helps
Mali

Back