What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am angry with mod's whom discriminate!

Also the fact that Andrew deleted it, is because you broke the rule, the fact you were a newbie had nothing to do with this, even the most experienced and most well stocked hobbyist who posted something like you would get his/her topic delted.

Also as you said, people with larger collections might already have the trading material you are poffering, therefore not being interested.

Thank you, theyellowdart, for making my day. :)

A whole life-time back, I accidentally posted a CP nursery's name (I wasn't in the habit of this all yet), and it got censored. After re-reading the rules, I realized that it was part of the rules and that the forum is still awesome! As such a large community, we do need rules that keep it up and running. (Do you know of a country that allows total anarchy? I don't.) Now Noddy, many of us would be sad to be loosing another grower, we've all made our mistakes, and we've all been noobs at CP growing.

It's not discrimination, I do not believe that it was based at noobs. If I said a name of a nursery or asked to buy/sell plants (hypothetical examples, I'm not going to do such), I would not be treated any different at all.

If there is a cp forum that is newbie friendly it is this one. If you look on other forums we are criticized about that. I can promise you that you being a newbie had NOTHING to do with your post being deleted. In fact it was probably the biggest factor in Andy not giving you an infraction, but I can't speak for him. I've been here for almost 10 years, I know how the decisions here are made and I know for a fact that we do not discriminate against anybody.

I know most members here will GIVE plants to newbies, including me. For you to say that we discriminate against newbies is an insult to me and every other member here that give plants away without even asking for shipping costs. Your post was not deleted because you're a newbie, it was deleted because you broke numerous rules ad even asked our members to break laws. I read your post and Andy's reply. He informed you that what you asked is illegal and then told you where you can obtain plants legally. In my opinion he went beyond what was required of him to help you. If you can't except the rules here then there are other forums out there for you.

I will ride Ozzy's coat tails on this whole "discrimination against newbies" garbage. Back when you first joined I offered you rather rare plant for nothing more than postage. That was before I knew you were in the UK however. You never took my up on it anyways so it hardly matters but if you had as soon as I found out you were in the UK I would have had to break off the offer. As was said above, I am not much in the mood to get spanked by the USDA to the tune of $2500-$10000.

The point though is that if you are willing to act like a civilized individual rather than a spoiled brat there are plenty of people who are willing to help members out, whether they are a newbie or a veteran. In the past month I have given out close to 50 plants and 90% of those went to newbies. So I guess I suck for making it hard for newbie who have nothing to trade ???

You broke the rules. It is that plain and that simple. You have a couple ways you can got from here: Grow up and act like a civilized individual, accept/admit your error, apologize and move on. Or act like a spoiled brat and blame everyone but yourself for your wrong actions.

I would not think the choice would be too hard to make but some people just cannot admit when they are wrong... I guess we will see which kind of person you are.

Noddy - you sound familiar. Weren't you banned at CPUK?

I was just going to suggest CPUK, since I hadn't noticed his presence, there, but,....

HA, I wouldn't doubt it. Sounds like he doesn't care about Laws and whether we get fined 10,000 usd or not. As long as he gets what he's looking for. I mean, how could he not be aware of import, export laws and the consequences if there violated.
Especially with him saying how many plants he has dealt with.

HA, I wouldn't doubt it. Sounds like he doesn't care about Laws and whether we get fined 10,000 usd or not. As long as he gets what he's looking for. I mean, how could he not be aware of import, export laws and the consequences if there violated. Especially with him saying how many plants he has dealt with.
While I'm reticent to come to Noddy's defense - as his posts speak for themselves, I would also be reluctant to jump to the types of conclusions being made here. The types of punishment, enforcement of laws and even the existence of laws varies greatly from country to country (and possibly even within a country if the authorities want to use a specific infraction as an example for others). Having an awareness of these conditions within one's own country may be difficult - having this knowledge beyond borders - even more so ...

This trading forums is AWESOME for people with a pathetic, teeny-tiny collection. I've gotten cuttings, seeds, pullings, all kinds of awesome CPs for the cost of shipping or sometimes even completly free with just a suggestion to pass on the wealth in the future to other plant-less newbies.

To get angry over such a trivial little thing such as your post being removed not only is silly, but makes other people think less highly of you and less likely to offer you something, even if it were legal to ship to you. I have some seedlings which I know I am going to have to get rid of the surplus and when I am giving them away I am going to be looking for someone who don't always snag the first-post-first-picked giveaways and is going to really appreciate even 1 or two new plants because when you are just starting out it doesn't take much to double your collection and when you are like me you don't have the cash to go around buying eveything you want.

If it wasn't for this forum I doubt I would be even growing cps because I would have killed the ones from Lowes right away and then not have been able to afford to replace them.

In my opinion a good grower should be patient and work on the basics before they start clamoring for cephs, hamatas and the leah wilkersons...and doesn't have a ****-fit about being unable to accept an informal rebuke.

It's very hard for me to be sympathetic to your case, Noddy. Previously, I had avoided your posts because I found them hastily written and difficult to answer, but I felt bad for not being more helpful. Now, after this little outburst, I realize that I was correct in my assessment. You've been here a year; by what you've said in your own posts, you've already spent a fair amount of time and money obtaining plants on your own. People may be discriminating against you, but I doubt it's because you're a newbie, seeing as you barely qualify anymore.
This may be a little harsh, but I'll say it because maybe it hasn't been pointed out to you before. You don't present yourself as a person who will benefit much from help. When you ask questions, they rarely seem to have any research behind them. Many of the threads you start are entirely unnecessary; most of your questions could be answered with a simple Google search. You reject the advice of experienced growers offhand when it doesn't please you and don't provide people with the details they need to actually give relevant answers to your questions. It's not very rewarding to try and help someone who is both inpatient and ungrateful. If you spent half as much time reading up on things as you did posting trivial questions, you would already have a fair amount of expertise under your belt, and would maybe be making a more positive impression on the community.
As for this being a bad place for newbies - I take offense to that. I was once a newbie too and a bunch of people - including Andrew, before he took on the forums and started hosting them at his own expense - helped get me up to speed. But I also spent time doing research on the web and in books; I didn't ask people to spoon-feed me everything I wanted to know about. TF has also been a great source of plants for me, too; there are a lot of very generous people who helped start me out with freebies. The trick is to be patient and wait for them to make an offer, rather than posting lists of things that you want 200 items long. But you can't be surprised that there aren't a lot of offers here that you can participate in; this is primarily a US site. If you want trading to be easy, go find a community that's easier to ship with.
There's nothing that anyone here can do to change customs laws. But if you'd like to pay for me to get certified as an exporter, I won't protest.
~Joe

What's so ironic is that it's sooo much easier to get some things for you because you're in Europe and were across the pond.

Someone made the comment of getting rarer plants by making friends. That's really, really true. People have to get to know you, you have to show them respect and earn a reputation to get their respect. Your not acting very respectful.

As for how much money you've spent... I don't think you know just how much some of our plants are worth. Indiviual plants. In some cases, you CANT buy a certain species or cultivar no matter HOW big your wallet is, because they aren't for sale to anyone. You make friends through trading, and you've got to start at the bottom.

Furthermore, it's discouraging for other members to see people act like this. I stopped posting because of behavior like this and came today to reply to a couple pm's, and it's discouraging to see this sort of post. Play nice.

Cool! You do actually check back every once in a while.

Nice to see ya.

good to see you Clint.

Personally I've been wondering why this thread hasn't been closed? The issue has been dealt with both privately and publicly now. I don't see the reason of continuing to go on about it.

That's just me,
Crystal

Clint- good to see ya man :) I still can't believe you let one bad apple ruin your whole basket of forum fun ;) And I fail to believe that there is somewhere that doesn't have that one bad apple in the basket every now and then.

Crissytal- We try to work privately as much as we can. But experience has shown me that if someone wants to bring their private issue public, it's best to let them otherwise no matter how much you try, they still find a way to post because bottom line- they think they're right and want to show the public how they've been wronged. Once they bring it public, as long as it stays as a civilized discussion it can stay. It is also fair to remind.... if you are a topic starter, you can request myself or a mod to remove or close your topic. So once he comes back he's more than welcome to request the topic disappear. Otherwise, it will eventually, like all other topics, fall into the abyss of forum history.

Andrew

Noddy seems to have left the conversation so maybe the rest of us should too. But I'm glad to see Clint chime in since it's been a long time.

good to see you Clint.
Yeah, what he said!
What they said! Glad to see you're still alive!
Don't really see a need to say anything else about the original purpose of this thread...

Back