What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has your eye ever hurt when you closed it?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Since were all doctors here I thought I'd ask... ;)

Last night I took a nap about 10 pm and when I got up at midnight I rubbed my left eye and noticed it hurt, but only when it's closed tight or I touch it. I got up today and it still is that way, only when closed tight or if I touch it.

I don't recall bumping it or anything. I don't wear contacts and there's no sty on the eyelid. Perhaps I closed my eyes too tightly when they were dragging me around the office with the pliers trying to get that first tooth out and I strained it by shutting it too tightly? I did wipe both my eyes with a new dry napkin last night after chopping an onion but don't recall that my eye hurt afterward. Only after I got up.

Anybody else ever have this happen?

Sometimes when I run out of my allergy medicine or get a bad cold, the dryness or itchiness can make my eyes pretty tender. Oftentimes, it's just one side or the other. Have you tried eyedrops?
~Joe

I don't take any allergy medicines, right now just penicillin and hydrocodone from the dentist. After these last few pills are gone I won't be taking anything. Perhaps the antibiotics have my eyes dried out after a week of taking them? I am drinking much less water since the teeth were hurting anytime anything went in my mouth, perhaps it's slight dehydration? I used to burn through several liters of water a day now maybe only one.

I did put some Clear Eyes in a few times tonight at work and just a few minutes ago when I took a painkiller. I had stopped in at the Target store "minute clinic" on the way to work but they didn't have any eye equipment and the doctor at the eyeglasses place was already gone for the weekend.

That's something I wouldn't get too concerned about if it only lasts a day, but definitely see a Dr. if it continues. I avoid things like eye drops and, if you're going to use them, follow the directions. I figure it's because the antibiotics - either a slight allergic response or that the antibiotics disrupted the body's native "flora", allowing something else to take hold. Good luck.

Sounds like you've scratched it with your enthusiastic rubbing. It hurts when the eyelid is closed, rubbing against it.

Should be fine in 3 or 4 days time.

Thanks guys, today it's a lot better. It just feels dry and like there's a hair in either corner - there isn't but feels like it. Seems to get better every time I sleep.
Sure am glad (so far) that I didn't shell out $500 I don't have for an ER visit! :)

i have bad allergy eyes. I used to use a prescription, but tried visine A drops, and they work great!

dude your just getting old...... :D

drink more water, your dehydrated......unless its interfering with work i dont start worrying bout stuff till somewhere between day 4 and day 14 depending on what the symptom is.....if i didnt i would be up at the clinic constantly.......

Slept on a dirty couch lately? Take it from an ol' couch surfer... that could hurt the eye on the side of your face that you slept on.
Or clean your dirty pillowcases! (jk)

ER's are the worst, I still use a private practice walk-in clinic from a decent neighborhood even with my employer-linked health insurance.
When I didn't have insurance, they were cheap, local, effective and they'd give me free-sample medications.
I've had my insurance for quite some time and I'll travel to my old neighborhood to still use these guys because I know and like them and they have all my info and they're just no-nonsense good.

I was gonna say clogged tearduct.

could be a sty too, which is no problem so long as it doesn't persist- just try not closing your eyes or rubbing them for a few days Bro

Yes; keep those eyes open for a few days. No cheating.

Yeah, sounds like a sty. Basically a giant pimple in your eye.

The eye itself is totally fine now. There's just a sore spot on the skin under my left eye over the cheekbone. It's the amazing traveling twinge!

AFAIK it's not a sty - no eye zits!

I still wonder if it's strained facial muscles from when they yanked that tooth that didn't wanna let go. I'm sure I looked like I was screaming some death metal, eyes screwed shut, face grimacing... "Lemme see your war face!" :D

Cheers and we look forward to your Forum Favourites selections!

Back