What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NECPS Show 09' Slide

Being one of the newer members/CP growers around, I thought it'd be a good idea to go to the New England Carnivorous Plant Societies' show up in Rhode Island at the RWP Botanical Center.

Overcame exhaustion from my brothers wedding Saturday night, and made the trip Sunday morning through the storm. Took a few pictures. Knew I wasn't going to be able to keep track of what was what, but the pics are pretty stunning non-the-less. Individual images are available to the left of the slide-show if you'd like a more up close view.

Thought I'd share them with everyone. Enjoy! :)

http://s859.photobucket.com/albums/ab155/gerg200/NECPS Show/?action=view&current=d8766ae9.pbw

ooh, shiny :)

Wow, a stunning display! I wish I was in New England when that happened! Amazing Nepenthes!

Hey Greg,

I see you're from LI - Did you happen to meet Joel and/or Matt at the show? They were manning the t-shirt booth just inside the secondary greenhouse...

They are LI growers, too.

Great pics, too! I like you you featured a few of MY neps right at the beginning.... ;)

scholaty - yes I ended up meeting matt briefly.....

Thanks for the pics!

Hopefully I will be able to go next year!

NICE JOB on the photos Greg! I recognized some of my plants. I'm really glad you made it to the show. Did you see that monstrosity of a nep with the 20 inch pitchers?

It's always tough taking pictures since the park has that dang shadecloth over the greenhouse that we have the show in. I only snapped a few since I was so busy at my table & also gave two talks at the show. Man it seemed to go by fast. We didn't get a Terraformers group shot this year.

Schloaty - you guys should have like a NY area NECPS subgroup meeting sometime. Maybe like somewhere in the center of where you all live.

Gr8 time there, love there bog garden

Bill - Yeah very impressive. What species was that I dont think I remember seeing a label on it. Honestly, the whole show was impressive, I was pleasantly surprised with the bog garden too. Just awesome.

Wow, so many impressive plants! :)

Greg -

I wish you could have seen the bog in all it's glory when we first put in the plants.

The Nepenthes there right now are magnificent. However, there was (is on and off) a pest problem at the botanical center. All the Sarrs in there got mealy bug, etc., and there was a problem with how it got watered by the staff. We ripped out all the Sarrs earlier this year. Only a few NECPS members live near the botanical center, but luckily one of them is John who tries to keep an eye on things and educate the staff. The administration at the botanical center/park absolutely LOVES us since everyone goes right to the carnivorous display and the NECPS Show is the largest event of the year there and draws the most people.

I had my 18 inch pot mini-bog on loan to the botanical center near the bog as an educational display. It had sundews, flytraps, and several sarrs in it, also a ceph. I missed several meetings last fall/winter. When I finally saw it, aaaccckkkk, I was horrified and Ken laughed his head off saying, "...it's the perfect example of what NOT to do..." It was filled with weeds, scale, mealybug, the ceph had turned to mush. It has taken about 7 months to restore it - I hope you got to see it at the show.

Hey Greg,

I THINK that big one was a truncata x sibuyanensis.

Cheers!

just thought I'd throw into the post some of my favorites:

DSC01189.jpg

DSC01186.jpg

DSC01172.jpg

DSC01168.jpg

DSC01277.jpg

DSC01279.jpg

DSC01289.jpg

DSC01272.jpg

DSC01241.jpg

just thought I'd throw into the post some of my favorites:

:0o::0o::0o: :drool:

After your pictures, I'm downright depressed I didn't get a chance to go!

scholaty - yes I ended up meeting matt briefly.....

Yes, it was good to meet you Greg. Things were kinda crazy for me there... wish I had more time to BS. Glad you made it and it looks like you enjoyed the show!

Schloaty - you guys should have like a NY area NECPS subgroup meeting sometime. Maybe like somewhere in the center of where you all live.

I'd probably be down with that... more for just meeting up to BS about plants than any official business. Possible places to meet? NYBG or the Brooklyn BG, or maybe some Diner or Bar in NYC which would be kinda central for LI-ers and lower UpStaters.

Diner or Bar?

Oh, I can see the look on their faces when we tell them what we want their conference room for!

:D

I've been abit cold-shouldered in the past from the NYBG... even though I can grow these plants successfully and they CAN'T!

Ouch... no really, they can't.

The Brooklyn BG seems a little more down-to-earth and they do host a number of other little group events. They've been friendly with emails as well and have made some recent inways to CP's like a Bog Garden and a few Neps.
I think we probably could get something going there....

Hi Greg,

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Back