What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagation experiment

I'm just doing this for fun so... no comments on how late in the season, lighting, etc. -shrug- I was just bored so I figured I'd try it.

I took pullings w/o roots from my S. x 'Dana's Delight' and my VFT typical. I also took a bud from my spider plant as an afterthought, since I've been meaning to start one of those.

IMG_1247.jpg

From left to right: 2x S. x 'Dana's Delight', 3x VFT typical, 1x spider plant. All in distilled water.

If it doesn't work now I'll try again at a better time next growing season.

it'd be really awesome if sarr's could propagate this way, similar to how we can root neps in water... i've used really wet solutions of moss for vft's and that worked fine...

it'll take a lonnnnggg time...

oh and is this staying outside?

I've been curious about this. Maybe aerate the water with a fish tank air pump.

The setup is staying outside until it gets too cold and then I'll be putting it in a very bright window. I lack growlights of any kind, actually. ??? Parents, you know?

You never know until you try. Why read that it can/cannot be done when you can experiment yourself.

I was able to successfully propagate a VFT from about 2 inches of stem one spring that I had cut the trap off in the previous fall because it was beginning to blacken. I wouldn't have thought that would work, but it did!

Good job. Let us know the results.

Cool beans. I'll take a photo each month for a while to show progress (or lack thereof).

I feel that that's entirely too much water. VFTs will strike, but use a moist medium, not a glass of water.
As for the sarras... I doubt very much that this method will work. Barry Rice was somewhat succesful by cutting a leaf that had a piece of rhizome still attached to it and he didn't use an all watery medium to do it in. Methinks that in about a month, you'll have a rooted spider plant, but that's it.

Then again... good luck.

I did something similar to this a couple years ago... I pulled all the leaves off a VFT, the same way you did, and left them in a dish of water. I then left the dish in a sunny windowsill, and eventually moved it to a warm terrarium I believe. It took a long time, maybe a few months, but little babies finally started growing! I ended up with almost 50 VFTs! So..be patient, and good luck!

Its near dormancy! :O.
Nice vans.

VFT's and Sarrs would do better in damp LFS.

Its near dormancy! :O.
Nice vans.

Suede converse, actually. :)

ETA: At everyone's advice I put all but the spider plant in 50:50 peat:perlite. I don't have LFS so that's not something you ought to suggest, I suck that way.

Back