What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Critter Ate My CPs, Pooped on Deck Beside Them

Have you seen those plant troughs that are made to hang on deck railings? You could put your CP pots in those, they could still be outside but they'd be up off the ground out of the line of sight of critters.

aint gonna slow down a coon.......

Again I recommend a Big Cat to take care of coons, or just call Forrest Gump's mama:

If I had the gun, I'd have to be around when the raccoon is. And if I were around when the raccoon came up, I'd just yell "G'WON GIT!"

Ever read the book "where the red fern grows"? The main character gets a box and cuts a small hole in it, big enough for a racoon to get its hand through but not its fist. The racoon reaches in and grabs the bit of bait inside it. Then it can't get its hand out because it's clenched around the bait, and it refuses to let go so it just stays there!
Not sure if it actually works, but I thought it was funny.

next time you'll see little VFT traps in the poo :puke:

Ever read the book "where the red fern grows"? The main character gets a box and cuts a small hole in it, big enough for a racoon to get its hand through but not its fist. The racoon reaches in and grabs the bit of bait inside it. Then it can't get its hand out because it's clenched around the bait, and it refuses to let go so it just stays there!
I'm pretty sure that is true. My friend catches coons sometimes by tying a piece of chicken bone to a fishing rod and casting it out into the yard then propping the fishing rod up in his window. Then when the rod starts moving you got a coon and you can reel it in almost all the way to the window before it lets go of the chicken bone.

YES it works an works very well until it chews its own foot off.
I have used this method of trapping

daren

I've heard of a method of trapping monkeys that way. Never heard of it working for raccoons. Frankly, I think the whole thing - raccoons and monkeys is just apocryphal.

If you want to get rid of raccoons, get an insane and extremely brave female cat. I had one that tried to catch an adult raccoon, and she nearly got it. Even seen a raccoon so surprised and probably scared in my life.

Just because a raccoon does something once doesn't it'll necessarily do it again. Unless that one has a taste for rotting insects.

I once worked for someone who told me that every time he planted something new near his house that a raccoon would soon dig it up. But a plant wouldn't be dug up a second time, so he just adjusted and made sure he was ready to put each plant back in the ground. Given the source, I believe less than 50% of the story and figure it happened to him at least a few times and probably not more than several times. It couldn't have happened every time, because he had so many plants and even raccoons must be able to find a better hobby than digging up an old man's plants.

I have had similar experiences, with dogs destroying my carnivorous plants. I put up a two foot tall fence made of chicken wire. I don't know if two feet would be enough to protect your plants from raccoons, as dogs are sorta-evil and raccoons are super-evil. Here's a photo I took today:
fencedincps.jpg

And before anyone comments, yes, the chicken wire could be wrapped around my plants a little tighter.

I've got it. I'm going to put my plants out on the deck during the day and put them in the shed at night. Locked up in the shed, they should be safe. Bring them out first thing in the morning, and back onto the deck.

For the pitchers? I made some straight peat soggy and put in the planter, since that's what I had in it. I know those Red Bug pitchers had something lighter, since water would go STRAIGHT through it when top-watering.

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

That's what I thought! Then my mom said I was nuts because she doesn't think deer could or would climb the stairs to come up onto the deck.

Could you imagine if I'd seen the deer doing this and opened the door and scared it? I bet it would have jumped off the deck and fallen about 12'. Or gotten confused and jump into the house.

Deer are a hassle here. i wonder if a rabbit could have hopped up. there are a lot here.

Deer are a hassle here. i wonder if a rabbit could have hopped up. there are a lot here.

We haven't had rabbits in our yard in years. They seem to have disappeared. But I guess I haven't seen a raccoon here in years, either.

ok, then scratch that!

I doubt it's deer poo, they don't let them selves ever be backed in corners. Coons and rabbits do, to hide for protection. Racoon's climd trees as well so hanging baskets off the railing won't work. Sarr.NW describes Sarrecenia as "pixy stix for racoons". Only way to stop the filthy buggers is to screen them in like raccoon city did, but make it cover the top as well, perhaps with the chicken wire being supported by a wood frame. And they definately return to the same place they found food in the past!

ok, i admit, it was me. sorry about the piles but the doors were locked.

Dude that sucks, I had a couple of mine sitting outside the greenhouse the other day and a Squirrel decided to dig the crap out of them. I am trying to make a Hybrid that wil eat squirrels:0o::crazy::0o::censor:

Just an update, all the plants survived, and I think they all survived dormancy, too.

Back