What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cat...

long story short, cat chewed on lamp cord and go electrocuted, no doubt about it, we found the cord. anyway, part of her tongue on the right side underneath is black now and swollen. we have already gone to the vet who didnt even look at our cat before trying to sell us a bunch of medication of which included two $50 shots/each and $50 of pain killer and antibiotics plus an office visit, and at one point asked where our cat was(mind you they took her to the back when we got there to give "emergency" care). so we started asking questions and getting them to provide alternative medication since we did not have the money to pay the $180 they were trying to charge us, wouldnt you know that they dropped the shots and "popular" brand pain killers and we forked over the $80 for the pain killer/antibiotics/office visit. now she seems to be doing ok, she's able to meow now and i just want to make sure that there isnt somehting else that i could be doing for her to make her feel better.

also she is not able to eat now and i ws curious what i could do about that as well, she's 10 months old. we've tried wet food but she just cant seem to get it...perhaps back to bottle feeding?

thanks,
billy

ouch! Hope your cat gets better soon.

I don't know what to tell you, but the people on http://www.catforum.com/ and http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ might have some insight - both forums are full of experts and very active. If she can't eat, you need a solution pretty fast, so I'd sign up and post to both.

geeze...sorry to hear that happened...i cant really offer up any advice, but if she cant eat you might have to put her down unless she is able to heal fast enough...

Wow, I'm very sorry to hear that Billy! I was always afraid of that with my cats when they were kittens, there's just something about power cords they seem to find irresistible.

As far as practical advice about her not being able to eat that will have to be remedied one way or another if it lasts very long. Is she not able to eat or just not interested? some medicines can make you not hungry. If her mouth isn't working right though you may have to feed her with a tube (A vet will have to show you how to do that), a bottle won't work if her mouth isn't working right. Can she drink anything?

Just a quick thought, what style of wet food have you used? Pate or shreds? They have Friskies Fine Cuts which is sold in small packets that is very wet and cut into very small bits. Perhaps it hurts too much to open her mouth very far, this stuff they can almost lick up like water, so if she's able to get down water she should be able to get the Friskies Fine Cuts down.

If you think $180 is a lot you should see how much I've spent on a cat in two days only to have to put him to sleep on the third day. :(

Back