What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need something to write on plant labels that won't fade

• Thread starter back2eight
  • Start date
Hi all, I have blank plant tags/labels and I need something to write on them with that won't fade. Sharpies fade very quickly. I have tried paint markers, but if you scrape it with your fingernail they scrape off, so that won't work either. Any ideas?

A pencil should do it. You know window shades? I take old ones and cut them up into about 4" long strips and write with pencil on them.

They're free if you find them. And they last forever! Much longer than store bought ones.

A pencil? It seems like that would fade quicker than permanent marker if I could even get it to write on the plastic labels, which I doubt. I don't have access to old blinds, but I do have the plant tags already.

Use the matte side of the plant tag for pencil. Also, don't knock it till you tried it.

A pencil? It seems like that would fade quicker than permanent marker if I could even get it to write on the plastic labels, which I doubt. I don't have access to old blinds, but I do have the plant tags already.

I as well use regular old pencil. Mine has lasted nearly a year before having to re-write, if not more. I also agree that Sharpie is not the way to go.

I've been though all types of specialty plant markers and such... pencil is definitely best! I don't even pay attention to one side of the label vs the other... I've not had pencil fade/wipe of at all that I can ever think of-- Although you can erase it if you wish to spend time doing so!
Andrew

ive tried bout everything.....pencil on the matte side of a plant label lasts the longest in the high moisture, high light environment.....

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

as to why pencil works......pencil lead is graphite and some clay.....soft pencil lead is mostly graphite, your not going to bleach out near pure carbon.....just like a lump of coal wont sun bleach.....not sure why it stands up to the moisture so well but it does.....

Thanks guys, I never would have thought to do that. I'll do it if it comes to that, but was hoping for something that I didn't have to hand write every single one. Do you think if I write on paper (or type it) and then have it laminated, would that work? I can make more copies faster that way, but I'm worried that water would leak through.

This has been working years for me... I left one in a cup of water for a month... That label is still on one of my plants :) They are automatically laminated after printing...
Andrew

I just write it right on the pot, but I use styrofoam cups for pots, so it's easy to write on and pretty fade resistant.

You can wrap something that's been labeled with a Sharpie in clear packing tape to improve the life of the ink. When I'm feeling really cheap I'll write on masking tape, put it on the pot, and cover it in packing tape - it lasts surprisingly long. There are also fade-resistant commercial grade Sharpies, or paint pens, both of which stand up much better than your typical "permanent" ink. Pencil really does seem to be best though; I have labels that were written in pencil that have lasted three years or more.
~Joe

Andrew, where did you find that, and where do you get the labels that go in it? That is perfect... I'm looking on ebay but can't find that exact one.

Call me a kook, but I know the difference between every individual in my collection. Although I'll admit, I have less than 50 plants... somewhere around 40 probably and they're all mostly different and in decorative pots so I suppose that makes it easier for me to identify the individuals as well.
I do kinda dote over my plants as well...

Several years ago, there was a similar thread on CPUK where both Mike King & Aidan Selwyn** noted that they had switched to labelmakers from Brother (P-Touch). Based on that info, I went out & purchased a Brother P-Touch & use it for all of my labels. I don't know how long they last but it's at least 5-10 years. I typically use the 1/2" size and usually include any code numbers (Sarracenia's), date of potting and media mix that I'm using. Sometimes I'll also include the person from whom I received the plant and the plant's location - basically anything that's important to me.
Call me a kook, but I know the difference between every individual in my collection.
You must not have too many instances of S. minor or S. rubra or ... from several different locations.

For those recommending pencil, that may reduce the issue of the print fading but it doesn't rectify the problem of poor handwriting. My normal penmanship is poor but if I'm trying to squeeze some info on a label while kneeling down, writing on my knee - for some reason - it gets even worse... ??? I now even use these to label every Sarracenia cross / pollination I make (this spring ~115).

Andrew, where did you find that, and where do you get the labels that go in it? That is perfect... I'm looking on ebay but can't find that exact one.
I think that's one of the label printers from Brother. Is it the same as one of these? I have one of the handheld units but would now prefer to have one that hooks up to the computer.

** if you're not familiar with these names - they may have the 2 largest Sarracenia collections in the world.

If you're not into buying a dedicated printer you can get perforated sheets of plastic that you can run through a laser printer from www.rippedsheets.com . I use item number 100710-8 . They are a little flimsy but I've found it useful and cheap.

It's just a p-touch label maker... It doesn't connect to the computer and I peal the backs and stick it to the label. It doesn't print on the label. You probably won't find mine since it's a few years old :p Get ready to pay for tape though! It's not cheap.
Andrew

I bought one! That's what I needed. Thanks!

All of the ideas of using a pencil, writing with a sharpie and covering it with packing tape etc. are great ideas and will be very useful in the future, thank you! But I needed something to do about 500 plant labels with, and I wasn't relishing the idea of writing out all of those by hand. I looked into ordering some printed, but they have minimums of about 1000 per plant name, and I need about 20 of a plant name, so I was looking for something that would work best for what I needed to do. I think this will be the solution. I paid about 60 dollars for the printer and 2 rolls of the tape.

That tape machine is cool! I think I will treat myself to one since we have to work overtime this month at my job.

I found some machines on ebay, what is the difference between the Brother P Touch printers which makes laminated 1/2" tapes for $28.99 and the one which makes laminated 1/2" tapes for $289.99? Just the speed at which it can print?

How many labels can you generally get out of a roll of tape?

A few years back I got custom plant labels done from B & T Garden Supply. I think it was about $30 (plus postage) for 1000. I had just my Nepenthes website logo on the one side, these tapes would be great to have used on the other side for individual plants instead of writing them.

You know.. I've not really paid attention... But you figure with each single label you print you use about 3.5-4"... so on a roll of tape (approx 26') you'll probably get about 78-89 labels.

Andrew

Back