What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At Lowes I saw an interesting combo

I was at Lowes today to get some LFS Orchid Moss (Lowe's has better stuff than my aunts plant nursery job now since they've switched brands) and I saw a plastic cube with 3 CPs in it. A D. adlae, a VFT and a S. purpurea. So nice to see them all growing together, the two temperates must be some fancy cultivars that don't need dormancy right?

:D

I bought the nicest one of the bunch and potted them all up separately putting the VFT and purp outside with my other VFT. Hopefully it's not too much of a shock for them being repotted and popped outside under a humidity dome but I wanted to get them outside while the temps are still trying to decide if it wants to be summer or winter.

nice find. hey just curious does the adelae not require a dormancy??

I love the death cube combos. If you can save all the plants, they're a really good deal.

nice find. hey just curious does the adelae not require a dormancy??

Nope.

If you're lucky or clever you could make S. purpurea work in the same kind of cool temps that D. adelae likes. The VFT is a silent victim any way you slice it, though.
~Joe

I've seen posts about similar combo sold at Home Depot and other stores. It's obvious that the companies packaging them have no idea about the cultivation needs of the individual plants.

S. purpurea ssp purpurea can be found in Central and Eastern Canada pratically all the way up to the tundra line so cooler temperatures aren't much of a problem for them. And being ground huggers are usually over grown with grass. Just look at the bog episodes of "Expeditions with Patrick McMillan" where he has to clear away the grass so you can see the S. purpurea.

I'm not so sure those companies are universally ignorant - those plants are all pretty easy to propagate, even before considering tissue culture. It suits the vendor just fine if you get the wrong idea about how to keep the plants alive. I would bet money that a major portion of their sales depend on the ignorance of their resellers and end customers.
~Joe

Hopefully it's not too much of a shock for them being repotted and popped outside under a humidity dome but I wanted to get them outside while the temps are still trying to decide if it wants to be summer or winter.

Nice find. :)

I've gotten those and have done the same thing.

The growth of the adelae and purpurea were normal in a matter of days; the VFT's are usually fine after about a week.

I would give them pots of their own and give the VFT & purp artificial & window sill light until spring.... and then put them outside until fall. The adelae does fine on a window sill or grow rack.

Yup everybodys all alreayd potted up by themselves, the adlae is with the other CPs on the plant shelf and the VFT and purp are outside for now with the other VFT when they go completely dormant I'm gonna put them against the window on the inside they should stay cold and dim (my window has poor light) so hopefully that'll work, if not into a ziplock and the fridge they go.

Back