What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

plagiarism 101

Gee, it sounds like sour grapes there . . .

That guy on the doityourself.com site seems to know what he is doing -- though I agree that there are a "few" similarities with your article (heh, heh, heh . . .)

lol B!! Maybe we should forward him to the www board of dishonesty. :p

I guess I would be a little flattered, but at the same time a little ticked off. Especially if it helps them make some money in some sort of way. Unfortunately, plagiarism is pretty rampant on the internet IMO.

I google for IT issues from time to time and see all of these hack blogs that basically mirror some of the Microsoft source sites.

I just remembered this quote/saying that I used once as my signature....
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to steal from many is research.

I don't know who that quote belongs to, I plagiarized it from some witty quote site. LOL.

If the wording is changed around, which from the small amount I read it seems that this person has done, does it still count as plagiarism? Or is that just considered a low blow?

If it's not full fledged plagiarism, he should have at least asked for your permission or cited where he received the information.

Plagiarism, as defined in the 1995 Random House Compact Unabridged Dictionary, is the "use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.

Pretty black and white in this case IMHO,

If they would have just asked or given credit it would have been a non-issue. But what they have done and/or commercial "for profit" use without permission is clearly not acceptable.

I have never denied anyone who asked...

:nono:

That was a good page you wrote.

Do you still have the pedigreed Sphagnums?

Interesting, I've never made a substrate to start sphagnum just grind up the dry stuff, wet it and keep it moist and humid and lit up until it sprouts. What does the peat do for it?

You should know better than to put something online and then expect it not to get plagiarized! lol

The peat provides moisture buffering for drier climates... its made mine maintenance free even during the dog days of summer.

It's by no means a requirement... but it sure does help for outside sphag beds

If you notice the one pic, the grass is dead from record drought conditions... but the big container of sphag is vibrant green

:)

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

You should know better than to put something online and then expect it not to get plagiarized! lol

Yeah I know but to see it so obviously done sux... and after I got to lookign around I found quite a few places using it. Almost all either gave credit or asked first... but a couple didnt, including another cp forum site.

http://www.insectivorousplants.co.uk/growing3moss.html

Av

Yes, growing sphag indoors under lamps is way easier than by the sun! I can't do it on my patio at all, the afternoon sun just bakes it black even if it's wet and under a humidity dome. Maybe if I tried it with peat it might survive... next spring, too cold to think about it now! :D

A fellow sculptor I know was told by a prospective client that they had already seen several of the pieces in his portfolio, which is impossible since he's just getting started. Well, it turns out, like most of us, he had all his portfolio sculpts on his website with nice large resolution photos...

Back