What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm really gonna do it... XP 64 to Vista 32

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
OK, I've decided I want to go buy Windows Vista 32 bit and do a clean install over my XP 64 OS. Work has slowed down now so I will have time to start monkeying around with it next weekend. My PC is a custom build quad core so there is only the XP-64 OS disk, one for the video card and a disk for the motherboard. When I do a clean install of Vista must I reinstall the motherboard driver?

Also, should I reformat my file storage drive (which remained untouched when I reformatted C drive with a clean install last time) or will the transition from 64 to 32 bit not make any difference with file storage?

Thanks for any input! :D

nooooooooooooooooo no no no

There is no reason to install a 32-bit OS anymore. None. (unless your computer is so old that it doesn't support 64-bit). There are only disadvantages.

I realize that you may have some compatibility issues in Windows XP 64-bit, but that's because most companies overlook it as Microsoft's aborted child.

These days, everything that works on Windows Vista/7 32-bit works on Window Vista/7 64-bit.

Also, Windows 7 is a much much better operating system than Windows Vista. I'd personally rather have Windows XP than Vista if I were given the choice. If you have 4GB of memory or less, then you will be hurting as it is slow and it is a memory hog. Also another reason to use a 64-bit OS as 32-bit is limited to 4GB total system memory (this not only includes your "normal" memory but also your video card's memory, among other things. You will most likely only be able to have about 3.25GB memory depending on your components).

And when you say "clean install" that means you will have to reinstall absolutely everything. This definitely includes your drivers. It is impossible to install a 32-bit OS over a 64-bit OS so you will either have to delete(or wipe. This can be done from the installation screen) everything on the hard drive or create a new partition.

Also, I don't recommend using the CD drivers. Try to get the latest ones straight from the manufacturers website. The CD's might not have Windows Vista/7 drivers.

Uh, why? Windows 7 will be out in two weeks. If you know someone who has an email address at an accredited US university, you can get it for like $30. (At that price, I'll probably even be buying a copy, and I run Macs.)
Not sure about drivers, but you should be OK to leave your secondary hard drive alone. If it isn't too much of a chore, you might consider manually moving your files and reformatting anyways. It might not make a difference, but occasionally there are hidden files and such that are left behind by certain applications which sit around and take up space needlessly. On the off chance that you've got some sort of virus on the disk, manually moving the files might eliminate it (perhaps, if it isn't embedded in one of your MS Office documents or something - not to mention it's much more likely that any virus you would get would target your operating system files or an application.)
~Joe

Actually, Windows 7 came out officially last month. I've had it for almost a year now though.

LOL - that's right, it's November now, isn't it? I still get people calling me at work to ask when we'll be switching to Vista - most of the PCs I work on are still on XP, with a few of the really rusty ones actually on 98. The first thing we do is downgrade to XP anyways, but I'm kind of surprised that I haven't seen any new machines come in with 7 on them.
~Joe

NO, I want to use Vista 32 or XP 32 (and I can't get XP32 anymore). I'm tired of having $1000 worth of music equipment I bought for my PC that I can't use because it's not "64 bit" compatible. And my vista laptop isn't fast enough to keep up with live high polyphony playing even on lowest settings with its RAM maxed out. :censor:

AFAIK I have no viruses this whole procedure is just so I can start to use my equipment I bought over a year ago and been struggling to use ever since. I have heard W7 will have hardware issues and that's what I'm already trying to resolve don't wanna go from one dead end to another. I know, that's the nature of the software/hardware game but I'm trying to get the jump on the bastards, for a little while at least.

What music equipment? I am pretty sure if they are a reputable company, they probably have drivers out for 64-bit Windows by now (minus XP).

Also, where did you hear that Windows 7 has hardware issues from? Do you mean driver issues?

Well, I can kind of understand your reasoning. But on the other hand, Vista will quickly fall into disuse now that a new version is out, especially given its unsavory reputation. 7 will have issues, for sure, but Microsoft has already taken a spanking on Vista and I think this time around they may have actually learned something about the importance of customer satisfaction.
I think the real reason you should go for 7 instead is that Vista is a hog. If you're already having performance issues with Vista, that's a great reason to go for a more trim OS. 8 is in the works, but I think 7 will be around for a while so long as it doesn't prove to have any huge problems, so vendors will definitely be working to support it.
7 works a lot like Vista, and I believe it even uses the same hardware management protocols, so anything you've got that the manufacturer supports in Vista should port over to 7 relatively quickly. I've been kind of apathetic to the whole situation, as it's pretty much only meant a big headache at work for me. My naive suspicion is that the central problem with Vista was that it was trying to be "everything to everyone." Microsoft made a bunch of overdue fixes to the various Windows standards, but decided to keep all the broken stuff as well so that programs and hardware based on the old standards would still work. The result was a big kludge where there was a half a dozen ways to do any particular thing and a ton of overhead to support it all.
I haven't paid enough attention to 7 to know if that's not the case anymore. To me, reading Windows design documentation is like having an acid flashback, or watching the 700 Club.
~Joe

You just don't know music software/hardware makers! lol

Consumer demand has no effect on them they make their stuff for one setup and the consumer has to configure a system to run it should they want to attempt to use it. I'm starting to have doubts anyone actually "uses" computers to record music! lol

I have Native Instruments software synths and M-audio 61 key Axiom keyboard and M-audio USB mic/line inputs. The music software/hardware works fine on the Vista 32 laptop, it's the processor or the harddrive on it that can't hack it when you play two handed. My desktop has all the latest tricked out stuff (for 2007) but I screwed up and had them give me the XP64 when I should have said XP32. The numbers dazzled me. I thought bigger = better but it = roadblock in this case. But once the OS issue is resolved the desktops HD is fast and it's a quad core with 4 GB ram and an "extreme" motherboard so it should be fine with two handed live playing.

I only have a few programs: Firefox, Open Office Writer, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and hopefully those synths, Absynth 4 in particular. All my stuff installs/works fine on the vista laptop.

Actually, I should already know that from having worked with video stuff. Six years of computer science has given me totally unreasonable expectations of what computers should be able to do. (And I thought high school was a disappointment!) I think the unprecedented public reaction to Vista might make the situation a little different this time around, though. But I can see your line of reasoning...
Why can't you just find a version of the 32-bit XP? If that's what your gear is set up for, that's what I'd try first.
~Joe

PS - I dig the new avatar. "Sir, all cutlery is non-refundable." LOLOLOL

If I bought a used copy of XP32 off eBay would it be able to update itself enough upon installation that it would be usable? That would probably be way cheaper and what I would prefer anyway (XP). I had heard it was no longer available.

I thought of you when I found the pic! :D

Like I was saying, we run XP on 90+% of the PCs where I work (at my school.) Just download the service pack installers and burn them on to a CD with your laptop (or the desktop before you pull Vista off.) You could also just download the necessary updates from the fresh XP installation if you aren't too concerned about security. I ran Windows Update on some machines at work as recently as Friday, I believe, so as far as I can tell they're still supporting it for XP.
~Joe

I did it, I went to ebay and scored a "new, factory sealed retail version of XP Home 32 bit Service pack 3" as buy it now from a powerseller with good feedback well over 12000 positives. Many feedback for this item, so hopefully if all goes well I'll finally be making some noise with these things soon.

If everything works out this "upgrade" will be $200 less than going to vista.

Nice, that should work pretty well straight out of the box. It's still a good idea to run Windows Update, even though SP3 was the last major revision. Good luck!
~Joe

I wouldn't bother with Windows 7 until the first service pack is released.

Windows 7 vulnerable to 8 out of 10 viruses

System Integrator/Builders that build custom systems still sell Windows XP with the system. There's no guarantee you will be able to activate a used copy from eBay without having to buy a license from Microsoft even with a valid product key and sticker.

Microsoft's policy is to support a product for five years from it's release date and another 5 years of extended support (security patches only). That includes the service packs. XP sp3 was released in March 2008 so extended support of XP sp3 should continue until March 2018. Due to popular demand Win 98 was supported beyond the 5+5 years.

The reason to use the 32bit versions is to support 16bit applications. There are thousands of business that are running legacy applications. It is simply too expensive for them to have the applications re-written.

You can downgrade from Vista Business or Ultimate editions to XP.

Microsoft extends XP downgrade availability to 2011
The XP alternative for Vista PCs
FAQ: Giving up on Vista? Here's how to downgrade to XP
How to Downgrade from Vista to XP

Supposedly the seller I bought from is selling new unopened retail boxes of XP - I assumed I'd have to try and find a used copy. It was not free but not nearly as pricey as buying Vista at BB or something. Several buyers had apparently installed the copy they bought before leaving feedback cos they said things like "good product, legit retail copy, works fine".

You can't upgrade from a 64-bit OS to a 32-bit OS. You will have to do a clean install no matter what version of windows it is.

Windows 7 being "vulnerable" to viruses is silly to me. All versions of windows are "vulnerable" to viruses. This is because all viruses are written to bypass anything that Windows has to stop them. Otherwise they would be useless. I haven't had a virus in over 8 years, though. You just have to know what you're doing. don't download random things from unknown websites and be cautious with P2P programs. Ensure what you are downloading is legit.

Microsoft is planning on phasing out 32-bit in Windows 8. I really don't know why there is a 32-bit version of Windows 7 unless Microsoft really thinks a lot of people are upgrading their 6-year-old computers. But get ready for 64-bit and 128-bit versions of Windows 8 (Not really. It's at least 3 years out).

Also, what kind of application do you run that is 16-bit? Something from 1995?

Yes, I know all about a clean install, I just wanted to know if the 64 to 32 conversion would mess with my archived text and image files on the secondary harddrive.

It's the installers for the 32 bit programs (not the programs themselves) which are written in 16 bit code and if you'll do some web research you'll see that most people who bought XP 64 have found out this dirty little secret nobody warned us about when they were hyping up 64 bit. Are they really saving that much time using old installers? Apparently so... I can't even open my free CDs that come with my digital painting magazine on the 64 bit desktop and they were made "last month" for all intents and purposes since it's a monthly mag. But I can open the disks on the 32 bit OS on the laptop with no problem. That's the same catch with the music software, the installer program won't fire up and the drive says there's no disk there.

That the installers are outdated isn't too surprising. (I ran into a similar problem for several years after transitioning to OS X - I guess even high-tech developers can be guilty of being set in their own ways.) But I'm kind of puzzled that your disks won't even mount. I wonder if you could use drive sharing on your laptop to use them on your desktop remotely.
~Joe

I do have a USB cord and driver disk which is designed to do just that, hook a PC to the laptop or another PC to file share but it will be better to have it all on one machine. It'll finally be the way it should have been all along.

The way Native Instruments registers/unlocks their software on your machine is wacky too, so I don't know if it would work to back door it with the USB cord anyway.

I hope it arrives by next weekend!

Back