What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major coup for one of our own

Congrats go to one of our own Kelly (ampac biotech) aka true424

Ampac Biotech's strain of T. atroviride ("Plant Helper") kicked butt in a recent study when compared to other beneficials and trichoderma strains in the control of Phytophthora...

woohooo, I knew you were good but dang girl, ask no questions and take no prisoners woman..

Biocontrol Science and Technology
Publication details, including instructions for authors and subscription information:
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~content=t713409232
Evaluation of several commercial biocontrol products on European and
North American populations of Phytophthora ramorum
M. Elliott a; S. F. Shamoun b; G. Sumampong b; D. James c; S. Masri c; A. Varga c
a Puyallup Research and Extension Center, Washington State University, Puyallup, WA, USA b
Canadian Forest Service, Pacific Forestry Centre, Victoria, BC, Canada c Canadian Food Inspection
Agency, Sidney Laboratory, Sidney, BC, Canada
First published on: 15 October 2009

Results
"Inhibition of Phytophthora ramorum growth in vitro
There was no significant difference in percent inhibition of P. ramorum growth on
agar plates between products containing B. subtilis (Serenade† and Companion†)
(Table 3). Clonal lineages of P. ramorum differed in their response, with NA1 being
more inhibited than NA2 and EU1 (PB0.01). There was no difference among
lineages in percent inhibition by Actinovate† (P0.71). Actinovate† performed the
worst of the three bacterial BCAs in vitro, with about 30% inhibition of all
P. ramorum genotypes. In tests involving Trichoderma spp., Plant Helper†
(T. atroviride) provided 100% inhibition of all genotypes
, while T. virens, the
Trichoderma species in SoilGardTM, was more variable and ranged between 9 and
58% inhibition among the three lineages (Table 3)...."

one other interesting tidbit, it mentions that B. subtilis decreases the beneficial effects of Trichoderma if i read it correctly. So it may not a good idea to buy those "soup mix" products that contain a little bit of everything

You go girl!!!!
Av

Thanks Av,
We were pretty pleased with the results.
Kelly

yay for Kelly!! :D Glad to see your hard work being scientifically justified. :D

Very nice! I'm looking into getting me some of this!

Forgive a noobish question, but what are we talking about?

AH HA!!! Now I know why "Ampac Biotech" was so familiar when Av mentioned it, you are the Tricho guys he uses!!

Congrats Kelly :D

(p.s. The Sarrs love Tricho ;) )

one other interesting tidbit, it mentions that B. subtilis decreases the beneficial effects of Trichoderma if i read it correctly

If I had access to the strains they are using and a PCR machine I bet I could tell you why. And if my hypothesis is correct not all strains of B. subi. will act this way. Course finding a commonly available atypic lineage commercially is probably a feat...

woooo puyallup was actually named in something...XD

Forgive a noobish question, but what are we talking about?

Stinkpot, Trichoderma is a beneficial fungi that forms a symbiotic relationship with plants. It will attack/antagonize other phytopathogens and increase plant growth.

Here is a good research paper on the subject (notice the electron microscope images)
http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/research1/trichoderma_research.pdf

One caveat.... some say its worthless, others swear by it... read the research and decide for yourself

HTH's
Av

Yup - in particular, a number of the most talented Ping growers around here use it. Apparently it protects against the (fungal? bacterial?) pathogen that causes sudden death in Mexican Pings, and is an altruistic general growth-enhancer to boot.
Congrats Kelly. I wanted to do real science when I went to school, but somehow I ended up with math instead. :p
~Joe

Very cool.

Where can I find some?

I wondered that for a while myself - the stuff I find at local plant stores is always a big mix of various soil microbes, but the what I've read from Joseph Clemens seems to indicate that just straight Trichoderma is best. (Look up his old threads on Pings if you're curious why I take his word for it.) But I think I'll start by Googling this:

Ampac Biotech's strain of T. atroviride ("Plant Helper") kicked butt in a recent study when compared to other beneficials and trichoderma strains in the control of Phytophthora...

Puyallup is just up the road from here, after all.
~Joe

OK. CP's too?

Personally, Ive been a regular user for years... on all my plants, cp's included. I use a monthly drench with ampacs flowable concentrate. I also use their granular product for transplanting and problem areas.

You can google ampac biotech, PM true424 (kelly @ampac) and we have another member who is about to become an authorized distributor. But I will let them make that announcement when/if they choose too.

Joe, Ampac is near Fresno, Ca.

HTH's
Av

That is probably me :). Still working out the details, but hope to have at least two forms of the Trich available soon (type for drenching and a granular for sprinkling).

And a big CONGRATULATIONS to Kelly!! Very nice!!

Fresno? Cool. We will be going there for Thanksgiving, but I doubt they'll be open then, or that they sell it there. I will look it up, thanks!

Hi Lil Stickpot
Yes we are in Fresno and sorry we won't be open over Thanksgiving, but depending on how long you will be in Fresno, we maybe able to figure out a way to get it to you. Actually we do grow it and sell it from our Fresno location. Give me a call at 559 266-8324 or e-mail me at kelly@ampacbiotech.net next week and hopefully we can figure something out for you.
Family in Fresno?

Thanks Kelly
www.ampacbiotech.net

Wow! Hi!

Yes, we'll be visiting Dad, but only for that day. I live three hours (or so) away in San Jose. Do you do mail orders?

It will be a while before I can buy some; I just killed the car, and I need to fix it. It's my driver, too!

one other interesting tidbit, it mentions that B. subtilis decreases the beneficial effects of Trichoderma if i read it correctly. So it may not a good idea to buy those "soup mix" products that contain a little bit of everything
... or buy several Tricho types & blend them myself?? Hmmmm ....

Just picked up some for my plants! Thanks Kelly! Hope to see you at a BACPS meeting!

Back