What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A thank you to my computer minions

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Blowing out the computer case worked! I now have XP 32 bit The downgrade was successful! I'm typing this on the desktop with the nice head - level 28" screen. My neck is saved! :banana2:
Who knew six month of dust buildup was such a bad thing!?

I will try and force myself to do it more often!

Thanks for all the input, NAN and Seedjar and others.

The rest of ya, if you haven't done it lately, blow out your PC today! :D

ROFL.
Glad you didn't have to resort to building a new one. Do you keep your computer on the floor or something? Blowing it out may not be so critical as keeping the area you run it in clean.
Problems after six months is nothing. For a while we had to bring the computers from the campus farm in on a near monthly basis.
~Joe

Try keeping one alive for longer than a month in a machine shop. All the oil in the air, it's gotta go somewhere!
we have to use filters over the air intakes.

I'm glad it turned out to be a simple solution.

Dust accumulation on the cooler fan and heat sinks will degrade the effectiveness and you system can overheat.

Thanks to the busy street I live on and a near constant ocean breeze my environment is very dusty. My previous system would have to be blown out at least every six months or the temperature alarms would start going off on warm days. My new box has dust filters and a cover over the drives. I've added a few additional filters myself and in 18 months I've only clean it out once.

Temp alarms and filters on the PC would be handy to have! The whole front of mine is metal mesh.

My window is open almost year round (even if just a tiny crack), I can't deal with stuffy air so I keep a room fan going most of the time so I tend to pull in a lot of dust too.

Well, here is Absynth4 finally installed and operational:
midi.jpg

It's only been a year since I bought the hardware & software! lol It "worked" on the Best Buy VISTA laptop but just barely. There was a strange latency clipping with multi finger chords and fast playing and that's certainly not cool at all! And trying to run both the recording and synth program would just freeze up the whole laptop system. But there's none of that now using the custom desktop.

Last night I took apart my Toshiba DVR because it was making a lot of noise and the video quality has dropped considerably since I bought it. The DVR was full of dust so I cleaned it out, and the problems seem to have disappeared. But I would have never guessed that swords' problem could have been solved by doing practically the same thing; I thought maybe your hard drive had crashed, swords. Thank goodness for Terra Forums' free tech support.

I gave a thank you to you guys, but I must make an opposite gesture to Native Instruments, who after a year of me waiting and finally loading XP32bit has now come out with Complete Synths Volume 6... Which of course is compatible with XP 64!!! :censor:

Well, so it goes. At least you still have your XP x64 disc and can always setup a dual boot system so you can boot to either XP or XP x64.

It's recommended that you partition your hard drive (or add an additional drive) to install the second operating system. It is easier to get rid of either if you need to do so later. A product like Partition Magic or Cute Partition Manager (freeware) will do the trick without you having to reformat and reinstall the OS and files.

Beginners Guides: Dual OS Installation of WindowsXP 32-bit/64-bit

Another thing you can do is reinstall XP x64 and run XP x32 under Virtual PC 2007

Back