What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott- you don't need a larger CO2 cannister? The ones made for paintball guns are much larger and if you don't have a hobby store around they are cheap online. The only thing I would worry about is it being too cold coming out of the can.

I already bought the product. It comes with a 4 inch cannister. I'll wear gloves when the time comes.

Reaper: A candle was also suggested by Indiana Gardener.

Ron: I have no idea.... but then again, at the moment, with flower scapes all over the place, I don't have any aphids. But I'm sure they will find my plants eventually! Let's see what Butch says.

nooooooooo, dont put me in the middle Ron is our CO2 guru... :hail:
I can see where dry ice would be easy... I can see where CO2 cartridges would be easy... just depends on personal pref and one's access to each format.

For me, I would use the cartridges, why?.... I have easier access to them over dry ice and like the fact I can keep them on hand.

Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

For me, the CO2 kit was the easiest to come by. I've never used either before. I've drowned aphids and used Schultz' GardenSafe. Both work, but the plants look like "death warmed over" afrerward. Butch, have you actually used the CO2 kit? How did you set it up?

I thought the whole point of using the dry ice method was to pour the hot water over it so it quickly filled a tank without freezing the plants in the process. When I mentioned it being too cold coming out of the can i meant for the plants, hands should be fine. How would you get around the temperature problem, spray away from the plants?

Edit: At the Bronx Zoo to humanely kill large amount of mice and rats for snakes they have a sealed bucket with a tube attached to a CO2 cannister. Open the cannister, the gas goes through the tube and fills the bucket, quick death for mice. I helped a snake keeping friend build this on a smaller scale using a small rubbermaid, a piece of tubing, and a paintball gun cannister. It works like a charm I don't see why it wouldn't work for plants aside from the drop in temperature, but I've never measured the temp drop.

Jim,

No.... but i can tell you how i would. I would use a covered plastic storage container tote like those you find at walmart.

Drill one hole in it the size of a tire valve, insert a tire valve. Make another smaller hole on the opposite side, and stuff a cotton ball in it (exhaust side)

Then simply place the plants in the container, run a strip of ducktape around the lid and then fill with the CO2.

If you wanted you could place a small tea candle in the container as an oxygen indicator

This is just me pondering... Ive used these kits for their intended purpose and they did a great job. But, I dont see a reason why they shouldnt work in this application.

As long as you dont spray it directly on the plant at close range the temp drop shouldnt be significant. The max temperature drop (delta T) will occur at the point of vaporization ( and the greatest pressure drop in this case (delta P) (the nozzle itself))

(P1*V1)/T1=(P2*V2)/T2

If need be, just fill it slower to maintain an isothermal condition

Butch

I would hate to wake up with the head of one of my helis lying in bed with me

(inside joke about the Don of the CP mafia)
hehehehehehehe

Butch

Jim,

No.... but i can tell you how i would.

LOL! That sounds soooooo OJ Simpson!

I would use a covered plastic storage container tote like those you find at walmart.

Drill one hole in it the size of a tire valve, insert a tire valve. Make another smaller hole on the opposite side, and stuff a cotton ball in it (exhaust side)

Then simply place the plants in the container, run a strip of ducktape around the lid and then fill with the CO2.

In other words, a reasonably closed environment

If you wanted you could place a small tea candle in the container as an oxygen indicator

Or a canary!

This is just me pondering... Ive used these kits for their intended purpose and they did a great job. But, I dont see a reason why they shouldnt work in this application.

i'm always thinking outside the box and using things for purposed that which weren't intended. LOL! not everybody appreciates that.... especially in the land of "methods" & "SOP's". Right, Ron?

As long as you dont spray it directly on the plant at close range the temp drop shouldnt be significant. The max temperature drop (delta T) will occur at the point of vaporization ( and the greatest pressure drop in this case (delta P) (the nozzle itself))

(P1*V1)/T1=(P2*V2)/T2

If need be, just fill it slower to maintain an isothermal condition

Butch

Isn't that basically the "pervnert formula - pv =nrt?

Hey guys,

I saw some bugs on my plants and decided to try the Dry Ice method to kill them off.

I used the same method as this guy on a frog forum:

http://www.dartfrogz.com/easy_pages.php?p=8

I also did a second bombing about 2 hours later where I put the container into the tank and then poured boiling water on it. I took a video if anyone is interested:

http://youtu.be/5mQaA9W4TpI

Hopefully I wont see any bugs anymore. The tank is completely sealed with tape and plastic and I made sure that the CO2 was pouring out of it before I sealed it. I also held a lighter up to it until I wasnt able to light it anymore to ensure no air was left in the tank.

Checked it out today and saw no signs of bugs and the plants looked fine too. I'll update as days pass.

I've since abandoned the dry ice idea in favor or Neem oil solution. It does work. It's just not instant death.

Checked it out today and saw no signs of bugs and the plants looked fine too. I'll update as days pass.
Rob,
Were you able to ID the 'bug'? Supposedly mites are immune to this treatment. Aphids were eliminated in my 1st experience (but w/ more than 1 treatment).

However, in another trial w/ an aphid-infested D. regia received in a trade, multiple CO2 treatments over several weeks failed to completely eradicate the bad guys (I finally used an imidacloprid pesticide). I'm very interested in why my 2nd series failed, what bugs CO2 can eliminate & hearing about other's experiences.

I recommend a 2nd treatment in 7-14 days even if you do not see any activity.

Maybe the aphids were in the egg laying life cycle phase (cooler seasons) and the eggs survived the treatment?

Back