What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the crackling noise in my PC?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I'm not sure of those shielded blankets you mentioned, but building a faraday cage isn't too expensive. I'm not sure I'd bother trying if I hadn't identified the source of the interference and knew it would help. But I guess if you build the cage and it doesn't work, you could always use it to jam any bugs in your apartment. And interfere with your neighbors' cordless phones.
~Joe

I wonder if a computer fix it place could run some sort of diagnostic and find out what the crackle is? Is there any way to pin point it without just randomly replacing stuff? I still think it's the CPU cos when I click on stuff and a program is opening that's when it get the most crackle, still under -24db just barely audible, but when you're trying to record music you don't want any crackle even barely audible. Thing is I get the crackle all the time, on you tube, in photoshop, etc.

My recording input levels aren't too high cos if I crank up the input the crackle gets louder. I can make an entire song of just crackle by hitting record multiple times. The only way I can get rid of the input noise is to unplug from the sound card but of course then I can't record any audio...

:censor:

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Hey hey hey! It's Phat Albert! :banana2:

I went and bought an expensive 35 mm to 35mm cord at the music shop today and most of the static is gone! Who'da thought? Actually, I was hoping but didn't actually believe it would work with such a simple $9 solution. There's still a very minute fraction of crackle showing up on the input level but it's not recording at a human audible level for the moment and no where near the -24db with the other cord. Yay!

My computer buzzes loads, I think its just because my computer is old and worn out.

Good to hear you found a solution. If you want to further eliminate the noise, try to keep your cable away from data signals (your monitor/network/USB cords.)
I wouldn't take it to a computer shop, unless you can manage to find a shop that specializes in digital audio equipment. Your average computer retailer will keep it in their shop for a week or so without figuring out anything, and return it to you with a $300+ bill and possibly in worse condition than you dropped it off in.
~Joe

I'm thinking of getting a new soundcard for audio recording E-MU sells a nice & simple looking one. I'm just wondering do I have to try and remove the old "legacy" card or do I just install the new one in any open PCI slot as if I were installing a scanner or something (before USB) and just select it in the apps when I want to use it?

If it is an on-board soundcard you have to disable it in the BIOS settings.

You'll probably need to load drivers for the new soundcard.

Yes, I definitely need the new drivers. My card doesn't support ASIO (no drivers for it) and if I am going to get some new goodies to play with that I want, I'll need to have an ASIO compatible card. It will be doubly nice that it has a variety of audio In/Outs too. In theory I should be able to route the sound out through my ASIO compatible M-Audio Mobile Pre Audio I/O and then back into the PC via the sound card for recording the audio. I intentionally tried this with one synth which has selectable ASIO or Direct Sound output but I crashed my recording software doing that and had to reinstall it - so I probably shouldn't keep doing it! :D

The upgrades and downgrades never seem to end. I think it's some kind of conspiracy... get The ex-Governor of MN Jesse The Body Ventura on the case!
(His new show Conspiracy Theory goes on Wed/tonite at 10 est on TRU TV should be hilarious)

Back