What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool Pot (it's not what you think!)

I like it. Just remember that mosses and the like are gonna love the exterior, and grow all over it. That will make picking it up fun.

It seems a little shady to me...

Maybe buy one, fill it with soil, and test temperature drop.

They come in sizes up to 7" x 6" for larger plants, still not a huge pot but big enough for many things. I just thought it was a strange idea that a pot could cool a plant. I never used clay with my Neps and things because the clay always seemed to get covered in nasty algaes and slime molds - moss would have been nice! lol

I never used clay with my Neps and things because the clay always seemed to get covered in nasty algaes and slime molds - moss would have been nice! lol

I was sugar-coating it a bit.

I think you'd be better served with the variously-shaped "air-cone" plastic pots that are very popular with orchid growers. Here is simply one of many suppliers:

http://www.kkorchid.com/aircone.asp

Much like the photo of the "cool pot," the plastic versions (made by a number of manufacturers) allow for a great deal of air circulation throughout the media . . .

Actually for HL neps, orchids and those who like fresh air in the media I used "net pots", basically a pot made of widely spaced plastic mesh.

BCPTN2.jpg

I was mostly curious about the purported cooling abilities of this clay and cone setup.

Back