What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My dad wants a CP what is a very simple species?

My dad has started himself a plant shelf this past summer and he said he'd like a CP. So I've decided for his birthday I'm going to give him a 2 gallon aquarium set up as a miniature naturalistic terrarium with a removeable lid, a piece of mossy wood, and a few different tiny plants in it. All he will have to do is add some distilled water once a month or so. There will be no extra effort to heat or cool the enclosure on his part :)crazy:) so the plant will have to be happy at room temp i.e. warm growing tropical.

Which small and interesting looking carnivorous plant would you guys say in your experience is so easy it grows itself that I could use as the "centerpiece" for his tiny tank? I want to get started on it now so everything will look somewhat grown in and settled by the time I give it to him on April 1st.

Thanks for your input!

Perhaps D. aliciae? It's a great sundew. The only downside is that it can develop a ton of offshoots.

In my area I'd say Neps, but if your dad's house is anything like your own that might be more challenging. Maybe D. prolifera? The way it makes babies from its flower stalks is fun.
~Joe

He lives on the 13th floor with a south eastern window exposure so when the sun gets hot about 3 it's outta the window/balcony area. It will have to be able to live comfortably in the 2.5 gallon tank. A Nep would be too big before long and certainly too much of responsibility. If you think HD/Lowes is bad to plants... :D

capensis...... an established specimen will actually tolerate getting dried out for a short time and come back from the root AND the SOB will grow in potting soil :D

actually a well grown capensis is a darn fine looking plant, it is actually one of my favorites....

I second the D. capensis. I torment mine, and they are thriving.

D. capensis...

My friend used to grow his in miracle grow peat moss. It flowered until it died from something turning the soil anaerobic.

I've been drying mine, keeping them in shade, flooding them...

And worst of all, feeding them Boca Burgers!

Wow, do the boca burgers actually help? :-O

yeah, if you want a surefire success, give him a capensis, though... it will also take over before long. Have to consider that side too. plantlets will burst up invasively from roots, dead leaves, and seeds... But at any rate, it is still the plant i always give friends just to see if one can actually manage killing it... LOL ;P

I still have plenty of D. capensis I'm trying to give away.
If you want some let me know.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

I was able to kill a capensis just recently. I potted the capensis in a mix of peat and mineral succulent soil (NAPA) for drainage - it lasted about 3 days! :blush:

Dichotoma is really hardy, with enough light.

They loved the B. Burgers.

I think D. capensis is the all-'round go-to beginners plant.

I think a terrestrial utric would do well and be attractive: U. livida and U. sandersonnii.

Yeah Jim, I'm definitely gonna put some U. sandersonii in there as a ground cover and occasional blooms. But I wanted to have a nice little "centerpiece" plant that isn't difficult (at all) since he rarely listens to the things I tell him...

I guess Drosera Capensis would be a nice plant. It's very entertaining and looks beautiful.

Back