What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum read method...

Which forum read method do you WANT?

• The old (cookie/inactivity based) method

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • The new (database/must view based) method

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • I haven't a clue/don't care

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Alright guys here it is... Do you like the old forum read method or the new? If you don't know what I'm talking about you should probably just mark I don't know :p If you really really want to know you can view this discussion about it.
Andrew

PS- got my vote in :p and this is only good for 7 days. Sooner if it is a land slide by many votes.

Remember! You get one chance to vote. If you click view votes... you don't get to vote!

Last edited:
As usual, I haven't a clue gets my vote! :D

I saw that huge topic on this but I don't know what people are talking about, nothing has changed about the TF experience for me.

I saw it and used the mark as read function. No problems since! I have seen now change in the function of the site. So I would fall in the don't care catagory!

I like the old one because threads didn't get moved around after you viewed them under the "new posts" category. If you view a new post in this version, it gets erased out of "new posts" and in turn ruins the chronological order.

Basically, I like the old one for it's simplicity and organization.

Last edited:
I like the old one because threads didn't get moved around after you viewed them under the "new posts" category. If you view a new post in this version, it gets erased out of "new posts" and, in turn, ruins the chronological order.
This isn't happening for me at all that I can tell. TF is the same as it's always been. ???

Is it something I have to download? I'm a paranoid freak when it comes to downloading anything so I usually don't.

I voted for the old method, but I for one would be happy if there were a new link that worked like "Today's Posts" but didn't list the stuff below the "have not been updated" break. (That would work just like the old "New Posts" list, as far as I can tell.)
~Joe

The new method really helps me not miss old posts. If I view the forum and don't read every single post, I never see them with the old method. That always bugged me, so the new method gets my vote.

I don't use the "Today's Posts" function and I have not noticed any difference otherwise.

So I voted "don't care".

I don't use the"today's post" function either, and since nothing else changed I fall under "I don't care".

And not caring is in the lead! I love how the second I voted for the new database, I changed my mind to the old one. Lol.

I noticed a difference since the change and voted for the old method. :)

I dont like the new feature at all. If possible, please make it work the way it was before. I use the "new posts" feature (especially when re-visiting after longer time period) and sometimes i miss the dividing line and end up checking topics I have been through and had decided not to read them. I like new things, but only when they work in the name of progress:)

I dont like the new feature at all. If possible, please make it work the way it was before. I use the "new posts" feature (especially when re-visiting after longer time period) and sometimes i miss the dividing line and end up checking topics I have been through and had decided not to read them. I like new things, but only when they work in the name of progress:)

I couldn't have said it any better!

Agreed. I go to "New posts" to see what's happened since the last time, not to see all the things I didn't read last time.

I don't use the"today's post" function either, and since nothing else changed I fall under "I don't care".

I'm not saying that "Today's Posts" page changed at all - for all I know it works identical to how it did before.
What I'm trying to point out is that with five minutes of PHP tweaks we could have another option in the "Quick Links" menu that worked like the old "New Posts" list, without having to change back to the old cookie-based method, which (I think) would please everyone.
~Joe

The change only affected the new posts screen by the way the software marks topics as viewed or not viewed. I thought we covered all this in the other topic...

Bottom line.
Old method: cookie based... New topics are shown to you since you last visited. and will mark as old topics once you have viewed them. Once the session times out (set age for cookies to expire, in our case 30 mins) all threads will automatically mark as read whether you have viewed them or not.

New method: Database based... New topics are shown to you since you last visited, and will mark them as old topics once you have viewed them. Topics will stay as new unless you view them, use the "mark forum as read" link under quick links, or a set time to force them to expire is in use (currently 4 days, default is 10)

It is these changes that is making the New Posts screen look different. You get the "new topics but no new replies since your last visit" stuff because you are not marking the forum as read... So it is doing the job correctly by letting you know you STILL have not viewed those topics. I don't understand why it's so hard to just ignore that stuff if you're not interested in it, or once you view everything you want to- mark the forums read and that stuff will go away. ???

The way it is right now (database marking) makes sure people do not miss topics by the forum marking them as read too soon- mainly the people that don't visit too often. The old method marks the forum read for the people that don't do it themselves (use the mark as read link) and just want the topics they are not interested in to go away.

Guess I should have given another run down of this at the top of the vote thread.... :-\

Agreed. I go to "New posts" to see what's happened since the last time, not to see all the things I didn't read last time.

lol. I agree. The "new posts" was the first (and only) link I pushed when logging in. If you visit frequently enough (once every day or two) there is never more than a page of posts. I have a feeling the "below the break" stuff would just pile up and I would never get around to reading them anyway.

xvart.

I don't understand why it's so hard to just ignore that stuff if you're not interested in it, or once you view everything you want to- mark the forums read and that stuff will go away. ???

My problem is the opposite of what you mention here. The new method doesn't list posts that I do want to see. The fact that it also shows a bunch of other stuff that I don't want to see is just rubbing salt in the wound.
~Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back