What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

winter rest Zone7 Va.

uphwiz

jimmy
Just a couple pics of how i treat some of my large community pots for the winter.
IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

I am an upholsterer for a living so I am lucky to have access to sunbrella fabrics.
These fabrics are very good for outdoor applications, some of them are awning grade and should last for many years.
I use a powder fungicide that can be mixed with water and spray plants and media
very well at 1/2 manufacturers suggested rate per gal.
then check once a month for any unusual growth .
I also keep these pots on the north side of my house so no sun at all .
And i lightly mulch my fly traps with pine bark mulch.

Why not just leave them outside without doing any of this? Where I am at in Mississippi I am in Zone 7B, so it is a little milder than your winter but not by much. We get temps into the teens and 20s quite frequently. I don't do anything at all for my sarrs and VFTs and they are thriving and doing great. They sit in their pots with no mulch or special care, right out in the sun like they sit year round. I figure if they grow here naturally in the woods anyway, they don't need anything special from me when it comes to care. I'm assuming that you are covering them because you have had trouble with them during the winter in the past?

Where'd ya get the sulfur?

yea i have tried that and lost a few of my fly traps to the very low temps we do get sometime , we have had temps regularly below 5 and sometimes as low as -5 to -10 here in the mountains. we had almost 20 days last year well below 20 and would definately have lost the traps had they been unprotected, i do also leave some of my sarrs out but watch the below 10 days .

Back